Pages

Monday, September 19, 2011

Sleep

I'm really bad at falling asleep. Really, really bad. I toss and turn and my mind just won't shut down. I've always been a bit of a night owl but I was hoping I'd grow out of it. I haven't. As a result of these sleep problems, I'm tired. And I need your help. Could you please:

a. Tell me what tricks you use to fall asleep (warm milk, counting sheep, etc...)

or

b. tell me a really boring story that will put me to sleep.

As a thank you, I'll tell you a boring story which will put you to sleep! Just don't read it until you leave yours, cause this one's a guaranteed snoozer.

When I got home from work today I noticed my hair was kind of frizzy because of the rain. So I turned on both my flat iron and my curling iron and tried to fix it before my sister's birthday dinner. But it would not be fixed! My bangs looked awful! They kept going the opposite direction I wanted them to. I think it's about time to go to the salon and get my bangs trimmed. Anyway, eventually I just gave up on my bangs and put a headband on. Later as my nieces and nephews were jumping on me and messing up my hair, I wondered why I'd put so much work into fixing it in the first place.

The end.

If you're still awake, you must have as much trouble sleeping as me. K, now it's your turn. Put me to sleep.

11 comments:

Katherine said...

You know all of my tricks to falling asleep (I should write a book...), so here's a boring story:
I was sitting on the couch trying to come up with a boring story and was having a really hard time. I talked to my mom and my sister, but still wasn't able to come up with anything. So I wrote this. And then I wished that I had come up with something more interesting, but realized that that's not the point of the put-you-to-sleep story. So I hope that this helps put you to sleep. If it doesn't work, read a history textbook. Or count squirrels.

violet50 said...

Crossword puzzles are my salvation. My mind gets so involved in solving them that there's no room for worries and my body falls asleep before my brain realizes that it's been tricked. And your story made me so sleepy that I'm not sure that I can turn off the compu

Jesse Davis said...

One time I accidentally something.

The end.

Anne Elliot said...

When I can't turn my brain off I try to say the alphabet backwards in my head, for some reason that always works.

Savd said...

I totally use crossword puzzles, too! And here's a timely article with other ideas! :)
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/43068412/ns/health-alternative_medicine?GT1=43001#.TnjD5E9uO8E

E McL said...

Not exercise, but stretching. Thinking about not nothing, but random thoughts, and choosing to find no resolutions. Starting at the toes and working up the body tensing the muscles and then relaxing as much as possible. And a banana. No hunger, no cramps. Good luck. Triptophan or serotonin may help.

D said...

crossword puzzles for me too! Lately I have been reading instead and it doesn't work as well cause I get too wrapped up in the book and I have strange dreams.

Unknown said...

When my sister and I were kids, we shared a window (not a room, a window). So during the night if neither of us could sleep we would make up stories for each other through the window. It was mostly her telling me these greatly thought out stories and my lame, blah blah blah, stories. But now my trick is that if I ever get worked up at night (which happens quite often), I put on some relaxing music that has words. That way, I focus on the words and not on what's going on inside my head. My personal favorite? Kenny Loggins "Return to Pooh Corner". :D

Jessica said...

Some people count sheep... I count jellyfish. Weird I know, but it works every time.

Ben said...

Reading scriptures until you fall asleep. My Bishop told me that trick once and I laughed, thinking he was joking, but he was serious. It works.

Liz Hughes said...

My trick to falling asleep? One word...meds. I have to take medication to sleep. Actually I take meds for some other stuff and one of the side effects is that they make me sleep. Wow, that was a very long personal story.