Pages

Monday, September 5, 2011

Getting Away

It's interesting how getting away, even for just a few days, can give you a new perspective on your life. That distance from life was just what I needed this weekend when I headed up north. It was a cold and windy weekend in northern Michigan. But that just gave us the excuse to take more naps, watch more tv*, read more books, and play more cards. Oh, and eat way more food than was necessary. I really can't complain about any of that that.

The chilly weekend in Northern Michigan reminded me of many cool Labor Day weekends spent up north when I was younger. A tradition my family had was to walk across the Mackinac Bridge on Labor Day. The Mackinac Bridge is the bridge that connects Michigan's lower and upper peninsulas. It's a five mile span and only open for pedestrians on Labor Day. I remember many crisp and cool Labor Days, wearing our newly purchased Mackinac sweatshirts and walking across the bridge.

Labor Day marks the beginning of my mental transition into fall. One of the ways I acknowledge this change is by punching the waves in Lake Michigan, and punching them hard. It's a chilly tradition but it's my way of expressing my distaste for summer ending.** I think I made my message clear this time around.

Here are some pictures from the weekend.

The sun came out for a bit!

This score card got crumpled up by my opponent after I was accused
of cheating. As if!
Fish fry! With freshly caught fish (and watermelon). So. Good.

There's just no way to take a picture of fudge without it looking like....
well, something I'm too much of a lady to say in this forum.

Coooooold walk out to the lighthouse.

Fishermen

Heading home

It was a good weekend. Do you have any Labor Day traditions?


*Ohmygosh, have you guys seen Extreme Couponing? Insane!
** This is a tradition inspired by the tv show "Pete and Pete," one of the best shows ever.

7 comments:

Katherine said...

YOU DID CHEAT! Ok, maybe it was just bad luck, but I stand by my angry score card crumpling. It was very nice to get a good break from reality even just for a couple of days! We got a lot of the essence of vacation and it was a nice transition into fall. And I definitely punched some waves (and also swam in them...they were fun!). If fall weren't so awesome, I'd be pretty t.o.ed at summer for coming to a close.

E McL said...

Lovely bridge. Reminds me of our afternoon trips here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fred_Hartman_Bridge

Still have yet to visit Mackinac. Pick your favorite shade of green.

We've had a quick shift in weather here. 107 two weeks later 77. It's sad to see summer go, but here comes our mutual favorite!

Jesse Davis said...

Our labor day tradition was always, well... laboring. Dad would make us all go work in the garden. Ironic huh?

~ Malissa ~ said...

I LOVE your pictures in the old-fashioned, classic style; very artsy! I don't have any Labor Day traditions...I think we used to bbq and play games, but your blog gave me an incentive to be creative and come up with some future traditions! I was going to go boating with some friends for a fun, farewell to "out on the lake" season, but worked on a 6-hour class project instead. One day, I will enjoy Labor Day again! :-D

Ashley said...

I really like your new header!

Liz Hughes said...

Extreme couponing is soooooo crazy!! I would not want to meet any of the woman in that show in a dark alley.

Liz Hughes said...

Extreme couponing is such a crazy show! I would not want to meet any of those women in a dark alley.