Pages

Tuesday, March 22, 2011

A Very Brady Vacation

I've been dreaming about taking a vacation lately. And because I'm dying to feel sunshine and warmth while simultaneously realizing a lifelong dream, I've been thinking more about seeing the Grand Canyon.

I feel like I sound like a kid from a different decade when I say that. Who, my age, is dying to go to the Grand Canyon? I'm pretty sure a single person my age should want to go someplace "cooler" than that - someplace like Branson, Missouri, for example.

Speaking of different decades, I've also been in the mood to watch the Brady Bunch  (I have no idea why), so imagine my delight when I happened upon it Saturday afternoon. Not only that but (wait for it.....) at the beginning of the episode, Mr. Brady announced to the kids that they were going on a family vacation to the Grand Canyon! I'm not sure who was more excited about this - me or Bobby!

Unfortunately, the Bradys decided to take a little detour and visit a ghost town on their way to the Grand Canyon. While there, they got mixed up with an old prospector who was afraid they were trying to steal his gold. He ended up luring them into a jail cell and locking them up. Once I realized they probably weren't going to make it to the Grand Canyon (there were only ten minutes left in the episode), I lost interest and turned the tv off. I have no idea how the Bradys and Alice got out of that jail cell, or if they ever did for that matter. Maybe that's how the series ended.

Darn prospector!

Regardless of what happened to the Bradys, I am still dreaming about going to the Grand Canyon. Theirs was a cautionary tale. I'm pretty sure I can make it all the way there without a ghost town lockup. (Though probably not without a TSA pat-down which could end up being just as uncomfortable.)

What about you? Where are you dreaming of vacationing?

19 comments:

Mark said...

I'd really like to go to the UP sometime this summer. A nice long drive up 127/75, the Mackinaw bridge, and sitting at the edge of Lake Superior, with my feet in the toe-numbing water.

Brady said...

The title of this post makes me uncomfortable.

Gabriel Velazquez said...

Nebraska, lest go!!!!

karajean said...

yes. yes yes yes. The Grand Canyon is wonderful, especially if you're the hiking/camping type. It's fantastic. Let me know if you go!

Elizabeth Downie said...

Haha, sorry to make you uncomfortable Brady - I can completely understand why you'd feel that way.

I promise I was referring to the Brady Bunch, and have no plans to make a vacation all about stalking you or anything like that. For now.

Gabe: Nebraska?

Katherine said...

I'm dreaming of the south of France, or Greece. Realistically, though...maybe the conservatory at Meijer Gardens?

Brian said...

You turned it off? Just your description of the Bradys' wacky misadventures had me hooked and I had to find out what happened. According to Wikipedia, sounds like you stumbled onto episode 2 of a 3-parter filmed on location at the Grand Canyon. They sure had an eventful trip:

Part 1: The family begins their third annual camping trip (the tradition would end this season), this time to the Grand Canyon after stopping at a ghost town. A demented prospector, who is convinced that the Bradys plan to jump his non-existent gold claim, locks them in the old jail and steals their car. They escape and Mike and Peter go for help. The episode ends on a cliffhanger with Carol wondering how Mike and Peter will fare in the outback.

Part 2: The family, stranded in the ghost town, seek help by starting a signal fire. The prospector returns with Mike and Peter; Mike has convinced him that the family is no threat to his gold claim. The Bradys leave the ghost town and arrive at the Grand Canyon. Cindy and Bobby get lost after chasing a Native American boy Jimmy, who eludes them.

Part 3: Bobby and Cindy are found. Mike comes to the Jimmy's aid; he had run away believing his grandfather Chief Eagle Cloud would scoff at his ambition to becoming an astronaut. The Bradys participate in a ceremony making them honorary members of Chief Eagle Cloud's tribe, and they each receive titles: Big Eagle of Large Nest/Mike, Yellow Flower with Many Petals/Carol, Stalking Wolf/Greg, Middle Buffalo/Peter, Wandering Blossom/Cindy, Little Bear who Loses Way/Bobby, Dove of Morning Light/Jan, Willow Dancing in Wind/Marcia, Squaw in Waiting/Alice.


Can't decide if that sounds more or less awesome than the Brady Bunch Hawaii trip with the cursed statue and the tarantula in Cindy's backpack and the creepy Vincent Price cameo.

Christi said...

I am dying to go to the Grand Canyon as well! I have never been, even though it's fairly close. So trust me, you are super cool for wanting to go there.

violet50 said...

I'm opting for any place WARM! I am so tired of feeling cold. Greece does sound nice, Katherine. But I could go for Hawaii, or Florida - maybe the Keys. Funny post, E. Oh those Bradys!!

Unknown said...

Ryan has never been to the Grand Canyon, so I really want to take him there. I know he will love it. I know this is probably the opposite vacation everyone is thinking about right now, but I am dreaming for a ski trip to Utah with no kids. That would be awesome. My beach vacation is lined up for NC already, and I will hopefully go to Lake Michigan for a half ironman in August (and come back alive).

Wee Sisters Three said...

Oh my gosh, I'm sitting in line to pick up paige from school laughing so hard I almost peed at your.comment..."....me or bobby" oh man. To funny. This post cheers me. Up. Thanks.

Ashley said...

I love that Brady Bunch episode(s).

I would love a beach vacation. :)

D said...

I have never been either and I really wanted to go to the Grand Canyon as we drove here to ABQ. Sadly it was just a little too out of the way. Maybe this summer we will go on the vacation of all vacations and include the Grand Canyon. Matt doesn't seem excited about a long road trip with the boys though... I keep forgetting they don't sleep at hotels very well after sleeping in the car so much...

Sarah said...

I'm dreaming of a vacation to Iceland! :) And did I tell you about my last TSA experience? It's a bit more than G-rated, so I'll save it for later! :)

E McL said...

My favorite post in a while. I sure needed this laugh! Grand Canyon's my direction, at least make a pit stop here! So well written. I'll be randomly giggling about this one for days!

MMMegan said...

Sigh... Michigan... Sigh.

Anonymous said...

vacation - Miami! The water, the food, and well the good looking ladies. Its a beautiful spot.

An admirer from the distance. ;)

Melanie Carbine said...

I want to go to the Grand Canyon. If you go in July let me know. I might be able to meet up.

Liz Hughes said...

I once had a dream to go to Cawker City, Kansas to see the world's largest ball of twine. I eventually saw this dream come true and it was awesome.