Pages

Sunday, September 6, 2009

Labor Day Dancer

Last year on Labor Day, while swimming in Lake Michigan at the Ludington state park, we were graced with a very special surprise: the beach dancer. This man danced with wild abandon seemingly oblivious to the social norms that most of us hold to. People stared, some laughed, some were embarrassed or annoyed - he hardly seemed to notice. His only rule seemed to be this: dance what you feel and don't hold back. He danced up and down the beach - he danced with wild abandon. I've never seen anything like it.

Even though I've been to the state park beach in Ludington many times since, I haven't seen the beach dancer since. I concluded that he must just dance around coastlines, never dancing the same one twice. I eventually forgot about him.

It seems however, that the beach dancer only graces people with his presence on Labor Day weekend. Maybe it's an end of summer ritual? We were thrilled this weekend to see this lovable goofball back on the beach, dancing his heart out.

But that's not all. In this short video, there's a pretty funny surprise. I won't ruin it by telling you what it is. Enjoy! (Oh, and you might want to turn down the volume - it's a bit windy. ) Katherine pointed out that this video just doesn't showcase his dancing well enough, so I posted one more video, below.

10 comments:

Katherine said...

It NEVER gets old!!! Oh, he really made the weekend. We really should have joined him, or at least asked him what he was listening to! Thank you, crazy dancer! (And falling-over lady...)

Emily said...

Hilarious. I'm so glad he is back. His moves seem more advanced this time around. I still don't get it, but I love it!

Sarah said...

It took me 3 viewings to find the "surprise" (I was too captivated by the dancer to look around) and then I rewound numerous times to see it over and over! :)

Priscilla said...

That is freaking hilarious! Thanks for posting it!

Michelle Williams said...

I would have gotten up and danced with...well near him! No way can I sit on my butt and just watch someone else dance, I'd at the very least, if some saner person were restraining me, be doing dance moves while sitting on my beach towel. But that wouldn't last long, you would have quickly had another crazy on the beach, ME, calling for EVERYONE to get up and dance!!! BWwaaaahahaha! Aren't you glad I wasn't there to embarass you all.

Anonymous said...

I keep watching it and laughing. I was listening to my playlist song 'neutron dance' and he dances perfectly with it! You'll have to try it!

Polly Anna said...

More people should have his attitude about life. :)

bethy said...

The best part is that you got that lady falling over on the video too!! !HILARIOUS!! Thanks for sharing. He was happy to not be working. :)

Jessica said...

We just saw the girl falling!! Oh man this is TOO funny :) I love it!

Elizabeth Downie said...

Haha, I'm glad you guys finally saw it Jessica! It's the best part in many ways. I didn't notice it while I was taping the dancing. I only noticed it later and i was dying laughing!