Pages

Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Cinnamon and Pumpkin


Over the weekend the temperatures dropped from the high 90's to the low 70's. I went from swimming in a pool on Friday to needing a jacket outside in just a few days. I don't know how it happened.

When I saw on the weather report that it was going to be getting cooler, my heart sunk, reluctant to let summer go. But now that the cooler weather is here, I'm finding it fits me like a glove. This is the weather I'm used to - summer is a fluke, a short lived vacation from normal Michigan weather, which is, in a word, cold. I'm sure we'll have some warmer temperatures come back before summer is officially over, but I have to admit, this cooler weather is pretty nice.

Today as I drove around running errands after work, I saw people walking down the streets in scarves - cute, trendy scarves, the care-free cousin of the more practical winter scarf. I saw people riding their bikes in jackets and hats. And they looked pretty content.

Weather like this makes me want to curl up under warm covers, read, bake desserts that have pumpkin, cinnamon, and nutmeg in them, and go on walks in warm sweaters. It also makes me want to go to football games, get lost in corn mazes, and sip warm apple cider outside. It has me looking forward to bonfires and Halloween, to crunching leaves under my feet and cuddling up for warmth.

How do cooler temperatures inspire you?

6 comments:

Savd said...

Sleeping with the windows open so I can snuggle into my blankets, eating cider and donuts from Wiard's orchard, wearing my big comfy sweatshirts, and taking pictures of the awesome colors that start appearing almost every day... (Are you happy, Downie?? Because of you, I started to love and accept fall starting today!!) :)

SAC said...

Wonderful post. I think Autumn is my favorite, for almost all the reasons you gave. The brisk air, color and smell of the leaves, the soft waiting feeling of melancholy, and the increased romantic vibes in the air that make you want to stroll hand in hand through an apple orchard..... I love this season.

Katherine said...

This really is a wonderful post! It's like a movie playing out in my mind, where suddenly it's fall and all is well! I love the reasons you gave, and also love going to the Dexter Cider Mill, to bonfires, and listening to marching bands perform. I get all anxious about fall, since I love summer so much, but all of a sudden, after this past weekend, I want to get out my Halloween decorations and make pumpkin cookies and drink warm apple cider. Sigh! Yay, fall!

violet50 said...

Great imagery in your post! I, too, am not quite ready to give up the warmth of summer, but I do love autumn best. My favorite memories of past autumns are the smell of burning leaves, marching band, crisp cool air, cider mills and pumpkins. In a way, it was a new beginning, too, because I liked going back to school (odd, I know). The brisk coolness of the air seemed to blow the cobwebs out of my brain to clear the way for new experiences.

karajean said...

Cooler weather? I'll let you know when it finally dips below 100 here! Until then, I'll be dreaming of all those amazing things you described. And I might buy a pumpkin scented candle, lock myself in the house, crank up the AC, put on a scarf, and pretend its fall.

Unknown said...

great post! It is finally not super hot here in KY. It is so weird, but it has been rainy and drizzly for the past 2 days and it was actually comforting to me, BECAUSE IT FELT LIKE MICHIGAN! I am probably the only person here that is excited about this weather. I have been burning fall candles and have the wreaths and fall basket out. Yeah!