Pages

Sunday, October 4, 2009

A visit to Grandma's

Tonight Katherine and I visited our grandma. We had a nice, pleasant visit but I was disturbed at how openly my grandma talked about getting things in order so she can die. She was very casual about it, not giving talk of death the forboding tone I usually use when talking about my own future death (insert sad/scary music here).

Because I've told you about her before, and because she makes me laugh, I thought I'd share two short conversations I had with her tonight.

Me, after picking up a throw pillow that had fallen behind the couch, "Grandma, do you want this on the couch?"
Grandma: "No, it needs to be washed. When I die you can throw it away."
Me: "Grandma! Stop talking about dying!"
Grandma, laughing: "Oh heavens, I'm looking forward to it!"

later...

Me, saying goodbye: "I'll come by to see you later this week. Don't die. At least wait till I get married!"
Grandma: "I've been waiting and waiting and waiting! I can't live forever!"

Oh, Grandma.

13 comments:

Katherine said...

Oh, Grandma! She's so much fun!

David and Linda said...

First, I can't imagine being 30 years older than I am now, which is how old grandma is, and she doesn't have all of the frailties that my body has. And second, she has always said what was on her mind. She wants everything to be wrapped up and tied with a bow, partly so that the person she is thinking about can be happy, but also partly so that she can stop worrying about it.

Anonymous said...

i vote you move to AZ. there are a lot more cool older LDS guys out here :)

my grandpa used to talk to me like that. before, he told me i shouldn't have gone on a mission or i would be married. lol.

alecia said...

thanks for making Justin and me laugh!

Grant said...

Your Grandma cracks me up! What is it about getting older and saying exactly what's on your mind?! Ha, ha!

Anonymous said...

Love this post. My grandmother was the same way. Telling me to take this bell or that doll when she died.

Will you tell your parents that I got the Munster's image from Photobucket? They wanted to know.

Christi said...

Your grandma sounds hilarious!

Priscilla said...

Awe, I love your grandma! Your family is so awesome, Elizabeth. I miss you! (I hope your grandma gets her wish so she can put her mind at ease!)

D said...

I have two brother in laws available. They live in Seattle. You could get to know them online and then go visit my parents to meet them in person. :)

The Leo said...

I totally get freaked out when my grandma talks about dying. My mom does it too! I'm just going to pretend I'm temporarily deaf from now on.

Mary Burnette said...

She's always on a diet so she doesn't believe in sugar coating...ha!

Wee Sisters Three said...

I have chest congestion and i almost hacked up a lung laughing at the. G-ma Fannie J is the qinchiest. I could just picture her saying those things. I went Garaging with her a couple years ago and after getting back in the car after going to one in peticular she started talking about the ugly stuff. She wasn't being mean, just honest. It was hilarious!

Emily said...

Your grandma sounds like a good time. Your stories crack me up.