Pages

Sunday, September 25, 2011

The Golden Ticket

Last night I attended the General Relief Society broadcast. The Relief Society is the women's organization in my church. Little fact: it's the oldest and largest women's organization in America! I think that's pretty cool. But anyway, several talks were given and they were all amazing. They were all given by women, except one, which was by President Dieter Uchtdorf. He made a lot of great points and one of them stood out in my mind so I wanted to talk about it just a bit and see what you guys think.

WAIT! Even if you're not religious, stick around and keep reading because this is just an interesting life principle, and doesn't have to do with religion necessarily. K?

President Uchtdorf talked about the Golden Ticket from Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. The Golden Ticket, as you all remember, was much sought out for as it was the only way to get into the mysterious Willy Wonka's chocolate factory. If someone opened a candy bar and it did not contain a golden ticket, they were so disappointed that they didn't even notice or care that they still got a candy bar out of the deal!

President Uchtdorf made the point that life can be like that. We don't notice the good because we're too busy looking for the Golden Tickets - money, better job, marriage, kids, or whatever. Everyone's golden tickets are different. And even when life is pretty good, we're not satisfied because it's not REALLY good.

Examples....

The point is that it's important to find joy in life even when we just get a candy bar, with or without the Golden Ticket. After all, chocolate is still good, right? And life is still good, even when we're still waiting for our Golden Tickets.

I think I'm pretty good at this, but not always. I occasionally let myself feel really down because I don't have the Golden Tickets yet that I've been looking for. I worry about when things are going to happen and why I don't have some things yet, and it starts to suck the joy out of life. But I do try hard to overcome this and to enjoy life to the fullest. I am very lucky and have seriously great friends and a wonderful family. I try not to throw away my candy bars just because that's all they are. After all, I love chocolate.

What are your thoughts?

11 comments:

Katherine said...

What a great point!!! I definitely need to be better about that sort of thinking. We're often told to count our blessings, but this way of putting it makes it a little clearer. Thanks for sharing!

Angi said...

Great message!!

SAC said...

I wish I'd heard the talk. I love that sentiment, and the analogy. I love a good comparison. I've been guilty of the golden ticket thing myself, not as much with worldly things but too focused on the future and goals and things to fix that I miss the opportunity right there in front of me. And then I see(more often now these days through the "miracle" of facebook) pictures of friends and family making the most of their life and feel bad about myself for being boring, or not doing well enough. There is some truth to that sometimes, and not just the "grass is greener" syndrome, so this is something I could use some work on. WOrk on being happy now, even with trials and problems before me, and not just focus on the problems. I could even not view them as problems but challenges, one that I can relish overcoming, as in a competition.

I also remember a class I took once, I think it was a stress management class out in Rexburg, who encouraged us to do something we've heard in the church as well, and that is on a daily basis, record down things you are greatful for, and your stress will decrease and the enjoyment of life and happiness with increase. I should try it. I've always been horrible at writing things down on a daily basis, like journaling or bloggin for example. I should try again ya think?

SAC said...

Ha, my fingers ran away with themselves. Sorry for the novel.

Jeff said...

Chocolate is bad for you

Unknown said...

That is such a great point! I am a slacker and didn't go last night. Thanks so much for helping uplift a rather stormy night!

sandy said...

thanks for sharing your thoughts! i have not read the talk yet, but i heard it was good, and now i see that it's something i (we all?) really need to hear. i'm always throwing away candy bars--how silly!

Claire said...

I loved his whole talk! It was so good.

Melanie Carbine said...

Well, I think that some of those things are the chocolate bar and not golden tickets. The golden ticket is a particular kind of marriage, a particular kind of job, a particular sort of family. But, if for a second, I throw off some of my "Mormon" qualifications, I've had the "marriage" candy bar and that "kids" candy bar, or I could, very easily. And, it'll taste better than eating some piece of paper. (That sounds slightly heretical, but I think it's totally in keeping with the message.)

Elizabeth Downie said...

I totally agree Melanie. I didn't mean marraige in and of itself, I definitely meant marriage in the happy "i'm so glad I held out for this person" way. Not the "why not" one. ;)

Liz Hughes said...

Pres. Uchtdorf is my favorite. His talks really hit home and make me think.