Pages

Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Wednesday Thoughts

This would be bad.
You know what I was going to write about today? I was going to make a list of things I could never explain to a martian in the case of an alien invasion. But as I started writing the list, I realized I really couldn't explain much to an alien at all, and quite frankly, I don't need everyone judging me for not totally and completely understanding electricity or how a phone works.

In the case that aliens do invade, we should probably decide now who our representative is going to be so we don't get stuck with someone like me. (Am I the first person to think of this!?) The volunteer representative would be sort of a host, with a badge and a basic knowledge of things like where our leader is, how things work, and how to avoid being probed, among other things.*

But I digress. Since I won't let you judge me for the many, many things I couldn't explain to a martian in this post, I'll give you something else to judge me about. Namely, my secret love of cheesy movies.

When people ask me what my favorite movie is, I usually have to think about it for awhile. The situation goes something like this:

Person: What's your favorite movie?
Me (internal dialogue): "It's a three way tie between For Richer or Poorer, Bride of Boogedy, and Free Willy.**"

Me (out loud): "Maybe Inception?"

Best case scenario: Sister Act III?
The other day I was talking to a friend about my boyfriend quiz, and he mentioned another option I hadn't listed: becoming a nun. We don't have nuns in my faith though, so that wouldn't work out. I did point out to him, however, that I liked the idea because, hello!? Sister Act!!

To my surprise, my friend didn't share my love of Sister Act and attempted to make fun of me for liking it! I say attempted because, duh, that movie is awesome.

Anyway, I confessed some of my embarrassing favorite movies - what are some of yours?

Happy Wednesday!

* Confession: I wrote this post really late at night and was slightly slap happy. In case that's not blindingly obvious.

**One of those isn't really my favorite movie. I won't say which but I will say whichever one it is didn't make the cut because all the stuff with the orca was just really stressful.

12 comments:

violet50 said...

You are seriously a goofball! This is such a funny post. Don't ask me to be the reprepentative to explain things to the aliens, either! My favorite movie is either Field of Dreams or The Last of the Dogmen. I did see Inception, though.

Eloy Trevino said...

Mine are Shawshank Redemption and Coming to America. Elizabeth, is it me or is Whoopie giving you the stink eye.

E McL said...

Return to me, just like heaven, uncorked (which with your sense of humor I think you would LOVE), Pride & Prejudice, PBS Masterpiece... I can't even make up my own mind proof that I would be a poor ambassador...

Wee Sisters Three said...

What about bob, so I married an ax murderer, free willy("jump free willy. Jump with all your might!"), tangled, beauty and the beast. Those are some of my favorites.
This post is hilarious by the way.

Katherine said...

Seriously, this post is amazing! The photos are especially fantastic and realistic. Whoopie's definitely giving you the crook eye, though. I would be a terrible representative for earth, too. I could make up stuff that would be awesome, though! As for movies, I do own High School Musical 2, and enjoy watching cheesy Disney movies more than I usually like to confess. I also can't believe that a certain Shelly Long movie didn't make your list, E. I would think that would come in the place of the stressful orca movie... ;)

Dr. J said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Dr. J said...

I heard that President Monson's favorite movie is What about Bob? according to a reliable source (aka hearsay)

Elizabeth Downie said...

Katherine, I do LOVE Troupe Beverly Hills, but I really don't watch it too often even though I own it. It probably should have been included though. I mean, it is both amazing and embarrassing at the same time.

Stephanie Curtis said...

So many good movies to choose from I don't know where to start. Well I love (watch at least once a year) Johnny English. I think it is soooo funny. Also I love Chicken Run (mostly because I think the parody on the Great Escape is wonderful. Those are my two that I rarely share. But I must admit there is one that I am a little worried to put on here. It was during my Pride and Prejudice stage (I have seen about 6 versions). My favorite becuase it is a musical is Bride and Prejudice and to have full disclosure it is a Bollywood version. Yep I said I like the Bollywood Pride and Prejudice.

Wow, I feel so free now. Like I can really be myself. Thanks Elizabeth this is great.

Elizabeth Downie said...

Stephanie!!!! Bride and Prejudice is SOOO good! "No life without wife!" I own it - we need to have a girls night and watch it soon. So good.

Anne Elliot said...

Haha, I am the queen of cheesy movies, my sister, the intellectual, mocks me non-stop for my choice in movies. I am so glad someone else loves the Boogety movies! My favorite though is Rock-n-roll mom - also from the Boogety era. SO FABULOUS!!

I also love Slipper and the Rose - I know he is like 70 now - but Richard Chamberlain singing and dancing and riding up to on his white horse - you can't get any better than that! :)

Liz Hughes said...

Well, I own the first three seasons of Punky Brewster. And I also own Bedazzled and What a Girl Wants.