Pages

Thursday, April 7, 2011

Karma

I remember this time when I was a kid and my brother and sisters and I had a baby-sitter. I was laying in bed (supposed to be asleep) when the baby-sitter came upstairs to check on us. I lied and told her I didn't feel well and that the only thing that would make me feel better would be a cup of root beer. She fell for it and I drank my root beer triumphantly.

Later that night I woke up feeling sick for real. I was miserable - my stomach hurt, I was throwing up - the whole thing. When I got back into bed after all that, I wondered, "had I gotten sick because I lied?" I knew I had. I just knew that had to be what happened. Was it God punishing me? The universe? My parents (though they didn't even know about the lie)? I didn't know. But I knew in my 10 year old heart that because I lied about being sick, I got sick for real.

Flash forward a million years to today. Remember a certain April Fool's joke I played on my co-worker, Ann, last week? Where I pretended to be locked in the basement of our office building and that I was hearing strange noises? Well guess what? I have to go down there today to get some supplies.

The basement where I work is spooky, for real. I'm not going to say it's haunted, but let's just say... it's haunted. For sure. 100%.

Is the same thing that happened with the root beer going to happen?

Let's just leave it at this: if I text you today telling you I'm locked in the basement, I'm not kidding, so don't ignore it, k?

7 comments:

Katherine said...

"A million years?" HA! I just laughed out loud in my little cubicle when I read this - especially: "I'm not going to say it's haunted, but let's just say... it's haunted. For sure. 100%." Hee hee!! Oh, karma, so sneaky. I hope you didn't get stuck in the basement!

E McL said...

Did you bring your phone, or do I need to let someone know. Just call me:D

karajean said...

You took down your last post! I thought it was quite funny-- and was shocked that anyone thought you were serious about #3 in the first place :)

Elizabeth Downie said...

I re-posted it Kara. :)

karajean said...

Haha! Good!!

violet50 said...

What if there's a "dead" zone in the basement and your phone doesn't work? It's been really nice knowing you. I mean that.

Caitlin Whitaker said...

Did I not say it reminded me of The Cask of Amontillado? Edgar Allen Poe based it on that basement. I'm dead serious.