Pages

Thursday, April 14, 2011

Pedestrians

When I was in college, there was this guy I'd sometimes see walking around campus. Or rather, I'd hear him walking around campus then see him. He'd walk around with his headphones in, singing along as loudly as he could. Every time I'd see him, I'd get really scared. Who is that uninhibited!? I'll tell you who: psychopathic murderers. That's who.

Recently I encountered another pedestrian singer. I was on a walk in a residential area and I heard something strange in the distance. Some kind of ruckus. As I got closer, I realized it was a man walking along, singing/rapping at the top of his lungs. I knew for sure that if I got too close to him, my days on this earth were limited. Luckily he turned at the next block (either he's an easily distracted murderer or he was on his way to his victim's house).

Isn't it sad that just because someone is uninhibited and feeling the music, I assume the worst? I don't know why those people scare me. I guess I just think if they're ok with flouting society's norms to that extent, who knows where they draw the line!?

From the safety of my car however, I find pedestrian crazies amusing and harmless. Today as I was driving home from work, I saw a man walking down the street playing air piano. And when I say playing air piano, I mean, really getting into it. Thrashing his head about, pounding the keys like nobody's business, stepping on the pedals, everything. I don't know what he was playing but it had soul. Think Mike from Friends.




And a few months ago, I saw a guy walking around all normal like, when he suddenly kicked his leg up over his head and then kept on walking! Like nothing had happened!

What about you? What's the craziest thing you've seen a pedestrian do?

10 comments:

karajean said...

1. I love your drawings!
2. I always sing in the copy room at work, and there is only one door separating me and reception, and I am always terrified that she can hear me. And now I wonder if she thinks I'm a murderer.
3. I can't think of a good answer to your pedestrian question.

Katherine said...

Man, I remember that crazy guy on campus! He made me nervous, too! Once, when H and I were in Maine with Momsy and Popsy there was a similar guy walking along singing really loudly to his walkman (you know, back in the day...). I wish I'd seen the high-kick guy, though!! Sounds pretty amazing! AND the air piano guy! Who are these people, and why don't they care?! :)

Thanks for keeping the drawings coming, too - they make me so happy!!

Melanie said...

One time I was walking across the pedestrian bridge on campus and I didn't think anyone was around and I picked up a chunk of snow/ice and drop kicked it. Then someone said "Someone's not having a good day." I think I was mad about something, but it made me laugh really hard.

I also used to do an experiment while passing people going the other direction I would see how long they would look me in the eyes while we crossed paths. That was probably really creepy. I was 18 and uninhibited by my new freedom of college...

Wee Sisters Three said...

I totally remember that guy katherine. Wasn't he singing michael jackson or something?
I, myself have been accused of murder I guess. I enjoy rocking out in the store. And by "rocking out" I mean humming quietly to the music, occasionally lip syncing (sp?), once there was a little air guitar.

P.s. every murderer lives next door to someone.

E McL said...

You have the most absurd and amusing stories. Thank you for a stroll down Troll Street. I blame it on brain freeze. When the weather's warm enough to move, cabin fever takes over and murderous musical adventures begin!

Alyson said...

bahaha so i was walking onto campus this morning, and suddenly I heard a guy singing behind my. i immediately thought of your post, and slowed down a bit, hoping he would pass me and I might see some leg kick action...and then i rememembered your murderer theory, and started walking faster

E McL said...

The place to walk crazy people en mass is at the airport. Why aren't we always at Red alert with that many mass murders roaming free?! I've laughed out loud more times just sitting and watching.

Amy Asbury said...

stop in the middle of the intersection and talk about where to go for dinner, that is the craziest thing I've see, and if they weren't on campus they would have been run over.

Ruth White said...

Craziest pedestrian I've ever seen is the guy in downtown DC who runs BACKWARDS while singing at the top of his lungs to his walkman. It was kind of funny at first but after months it just turned obnoxious.

D said...

So this is not a crazy pedestrian story but sort of connected... When my brother was about 8-10 years of age he got his words confused and told us, "Presbyterians have the right of way." :) Still makes me giggle when I remember it.