Pages

Saturday, April 30, 2011

Crunch

When you work in a shared office space, you  get to spend a lot of time with other peoples eating habits. From the smelly to the crunchy, food becomes a shared experience in an office whether intentional or not.

I, myself, am not blameless. It's not uncommon for me to feel it necessary to apologize to those sitting nearest to me about the smell of a hard boiled egg, or the loud crunching of celery sticks. I think my worst offense so far was my brief stint with microwaveable bacon. That won me many enemies as the smell drove people wild with jealousy and cravings. Though I miss the candy of meats, I chose friendships and office harmony over the occasional blt.

Besides the foods I've already mentioned there are a few others I try to avoid in the office. Anything with a strong odor such as fish, or anything with a really loud crunch, such as popcorn. In fact, popcorn, it seems, is one of the loudest foods out there and can make people around you feel like this:



Not that I've ever felt that way.

What are some foods you prefer not to have a shared experience with?

5 comments:

Katherine said...

I got a chicken shawarma wrap and brought it back to work once and felt rather guilty about the strong (delicious!!) smell. I've taken to bringing mini bags of microwave popcorn to work, because two of my coworkers like to have it as a mid-afternoon snack, and once I smell it, I have to have it!! I've learned to tune out food eating sounds from other people for the most part - my coworker recently was eating something crunchy and apologized for the noise, but I hadn't noticed! Must be a coping mechanism. Luckily the cubicle I work in is fairly separate from others, so I'm spared many noises/smells, but it is right by the kitchen, so I'm inundated with others...

Janice said...

My boss doesn't allow us to eat popcorn or fish at work. Also, I got yelled at for eating a dish that had onions in it. I understand that those foods have strong smells, but to prohibit us from eating them?
Oh, and kind of related but kind of not... On my flight last night, the lady next to me was chewing her gum like a slobbery cow. I almost said something, but instead, I just put my headphones in.

{jaclyn} said...

i don't work in a cubicle/office, so i can't relate entirely. but when i feed the resident cat in the mornings (he's spoiled and gets wet/canned food everyday) it's pretty stinky. i used to park my medication cart next to his food dish and that was pretty awful. i have friends who work in offices and they talk about people humming off key and other annoying habits.

Kathy said...

Popcorn is extremely offensive when people eat it one kernel at a time, and insist on chewing with their mouth open....don't get me started.....flashbacks....

I personally prefer to not allow coworkers sitting near me to have full glasses of ice water. :)-

Elizabeth Downie said...

Haha, Kathy! The water incident was the best. Sorry to give you flashbacks though, with the popcornnn