Pages

Friday, January 25, 2013

Live in the Now!

If you've ever seen Wayne's World, you might recognize the title of this post as a quote from that movie. In that scene, Wayne is looking through the window of the guitar store, staring at a guitar he wants. Garth is getting tired of waiting for him and says, "Stop torturing yourself, man! You'll never afford it! Live in the now!"

When I find myself feeling too sad, whether reminiscing about the past, or worrying about the future, I often hear Garth in my head telling me to live in the now.

This week I have been pretty down. I think there are lots of reasons why. Winter is a major reason. It's giving me cabin fever really bad. Still feeling run down from the flu is another reason. I'm back to work and life, but still tired and coughing. And then there are more personal reasons too, like the big L (loneliness) and others.

So today I'm going to just live in the now and be happy. Tomorrow too. And hopefully the next day. But today I'm just going to think about today, which is technically the now.

Here's what my life is like now:

I've been reading a lot more. Mysteries and classics, mostly. I recently ordered the Little House on the Prairie series, which I haven't read any of since I was a kid. I started reading them yesterday and was enchanted immediately. I can't wait to cozy up with them again tonight. I also ordered a Little House cookbook, which has recipes from the books. Many of the recipes call for things that I don't know how I'm going to get my hands on (like blackbirds or oxtail), but I'll do my best. I'll draw the line at pig tails though (the kind attached to a pig, not the kind attached to a little girl's head).

I've been drinking a lot of fruit and vegetable smoothies. I've fallen in love with carrot juice as a main ingredient. I am still waiting for more recipes from you guys!

I've been wondering what to do with my time when I'm stuck inside. I love being outside and I've been suffering from cabin fever. Once I'm over my cough and feeling healthy, I'll get back outside and face the cold. What should I try? Snow shoeing?

I've been wondering how old I'll be when I get married. I am comforted by the fact that Jessica Fletcher (of the Murder, She Wrote series) had/has (which is it, when a character is fiction?) an active dating life in her 60's. Maybe I'll find love in my 60's.

I've been online shopping. It's not good, you guys. I'm not shopping out of control or anything, but I don't really need to be shopping at all. How many books can one person own? Or doodads?

I need to just accept that it's winter, I have cabin fever, and I can enjoy it. I'll curl up with a mug of hot cocoa tonight and a good book, and call life good. Because, it is. Right?

4 comments:

Katherine said...

YES!!! I love this. I need to do the same thing - just live in the NOW. Reading is always good, or if you get too antsy, crafting. Maybe a gym membership would help? We should have a "It's summer in winter!" party - crank up the heat, lay out a blanket, and have a picnic!

violet50 said...

Life IS good. And there is no limit on doodads, except your budget - and space! Hot cocoa and a good book sounds like a good antidote for the winter blues. I like Katherine's idea, too, about the winter party. Hot dogs, nachos and cheese and ice cream cones. Beach Boys, here we come.

elliespen said...

So, just to be clear here, pig tails on pigs are no good for recipes, but little girl pig tails are still okay?

As far as shopping goes, I submit that the number of books one person can own is significantly higher than the number of doodads. But if you feel like they're taking up too much room, there's always the Kindle option.

E McL said...

Andy always reminds me of the quote from Scarlett, "I'll worry about it tomorrow." Same principle, and I often find it's better or less overwhelming tomorrow. I got tons of free ebooks from Amazon's kindle collection... for my PC, because I haven't joined this century yet.

I love the Daylight Savings countdown... and even though winter weather is worse after Christmas than before, I feel cheerier knowing the sun has passed its pinnacle. Sending sunny thoughts!