Here are a few of the other things I'm looking forward to doing this summer:
* Go Camping! I've had a real camping itch lately. Wait, that sounds like a rash I got from camping or something. What I mean is, I've been really wanting to go camping lately. So I have decided to plan a camping trip in the UP (upper peninsula) this summer. I want to see Tahquamenon falls there, which I haven't seen since I was a kid, and I want to go to my friend's bear sanctuary. Yes, that is actually a thing. You get to have your picture taken holding a baby bear cub! I'm all over that!
* Run a 5K. So, I'm on week six of the Couch-to-5K program and it's still not easy for me. Can I still learn to love running? Or should I love it by now? Either way, I'm running a 5K in June whether I like it or not. I'm kind of excited about this since I've never done it before.
* Bike around Mackinac Island. I have done this before, but it's been awhile and I need to get back there. Mackinac Island is a small island right between the upper and lower peninsulas. You can rent bikes and ride all the way around - it's an easy ride (flat and only 8 miles). The views are gorgeous. Though lots of people live on the island, and there are loads of B&Bs and shops and restaurants, there are no cars on the whole island. Only carriages, horses, and bikes. It's enchanting.
* Eat at Bill's Drive-In. Bill's Drive-In is a local place known for it's amazing hot dogs and homemade root beer. I've been hearing a lot of buzz about it lately. I haven't been there since high school (so, like two years*), so I think it's time to go back.
* Get my bike fixed and ride in the Tour De Troit. My friends Sara and Sarah did it last year and I was super sad not be able to join them because of a bad back tire on my bike. This summer I'm going to get that fixed and prepare for the tour. Last year 4,400 people registered and rode their bikes through the historic districts of Detroit. Yes, please!
* Go to a couple drive-in movies. Drive-ins are one of my favorite things about summer. The drive-in I usually go to looks like it hasn't had ANY work/improvements done since it was first built (back when drive-ins were first invented), but I think that adds to the charm. I can imagine Archie Andrews is in the car (jalopy) next to me.**
Other than this list of goals, I have the usual summer plans: eat lots of watermelon, go to the farmers market a bunch, swim in Lake Michigan, go to Ludington several times, watch old timey baseball games, go to as many Tigers games as I can, wear white, get a suntan, roast marshmallows and hot dogs over a campfire, etc. Oh my goodness, I can't wait!
How about you? What are some things you want to do this summer?
* yeah right.
** this joke is a stretch.