Pages

Thursday, May 10, 2012

Tube Top

Yesterday my sister, Heather, told a story on her Facebook page about my four year old niece, Sammy. Sammy recently made $1.00 selling something at a garage sale and was super excited about earning her first dollar! She begged my sister to take her to the store so she could pick out some candy to buy with her own money.

Here she is, proudly holding up her dollar and the candy she's about to buy with it.



Her story reminded me of my own childhood purchases. My brother and sisters and I used to ride our bikes to the local drug store and spend our allowance on root beer, Twinkies, and Doritos. You guys, I loved Doritos so much. My childhood dream was that some day as an adult, I'd have enough money to have a room FULL of Doritos, like Scrooge McDuck's room full of coins. I need to get on that.



But my first "big" purchase was when I saved up enough money to buy a tube top from Ben Franklin (remember those stores?). My mom and grandma and I went to the store and I just had to have the most beautiful article of clothing I'd ever seen. It probably cost about $6 and I was so proud of it! It was a rainbow of pastels - pink, purple, mint, yellow, and peach. To my six year old self, it was beautiful. It was ruffled, and in design it looked something like this:

(source)
Sad news though, everyone. That was my first and last tube top.

What was your first childhood purchase?

3 comments:

Katherine said...

I LOVED Ben Franklin's!!! I had dreams of buying silly little games and things there, too. I'm impressed by your tube top purchase, though. I really don't remember what my first purchase was, but it was likely candy. I never dreamed of a room full of Doritos (though I did/do think they're the best chips out there), but I did always want to swim through an ocean of money like Scrooge McDuck's! I didn't understand how painful it would actually be to dive into a pile of coins, though. Reality's the pits.

Melanie said...

I don't remember my first purchase but I do remember saving money to buy the Savage Garden CD. I was pretty obsessed with that.

Liz Hughes said...

Candy corn; good choice.
I need more info about this tube top. Did you wear it? Did you know it was a shirt or did you think it was a skirt? What happened that made it your last tube top?