Pages

Friday, January 28, 2011

Remedies

I'm sick this week. This time of year I always get really sick once with an awful sinusitis/bronchitis combination of some sort. Sooooo glad it's here! (<----sarcasm text here.)

I've been miserable most of the week and today has been the worst. It's been so bad I've been willing to try almost anything (I draw the line at the neti pot) to feel better. Here are some of the things I've tried:

* Over Christmas break, my aunt and uncle told us about something they had seen on a morning show about how if you are congested, you put some Vicks VapoRub (I always thought it was Vapor Rub...weird) on the bottoms of your feet, then put socks on to cover it up before bed. My sister and mom tried it and said it worked. So, the other night I was desperate and thought I might as well try it. It didn't work. And I was hot the whole night from wearing socks to bed. My friend Ann said it didn't work because I didn't believe it would work. She may be right, but I thought that as long as I was asleep, the remedy wouldn't know I didn't believe in it and could do it's job. Oh well, it was worth a try.

* My grandma  has lots of sinus problems and she told me yesterday that to relieve her sinus pain, she points a hair dryer right at her face on medium and heats her sinuses up. Does that sound awful or what? Anyway, I did it and it works. I did it several times actually. Why does it work? I'm not sure. It's not fun but it if it works, I'll do it.

* The best thing is to put a really hot cloth right over my face for as long as it stays hot. I've been doing this all day. Totally works, for the short term.

What are some non-traditional remedies you use when you're ill? I got on antibiotics today but I'm still miserable so I'm open to ideas.

If you don't have any remedies, just tell me something good that happened to you this week to cheer me up. Thanks, guys!

12 comments:

Emily Johnson said...

You really should try the nettie pot, they're fantastic for my sinus problems.

Jessica said...

Doug is too cheap to buy a nettie pot, he just snorts salt water from a bowl... My dad does this too and they both swear by it!!

Ashley said...

Sorry you're not feeling well, Elizabeth. But you're not alone. A couple of my best friends are sick, too. Bummer!

I don't have any remedies that might help, other than time. And I hope it's a SHORT time before you're well again!

Katherine said...

Yeah, sorry, but I have to say nettie pot, too. It feels soooo good!! I'm sorry you're feeling sick, though. That stinks! As far as something good that happened this week, I got my membership to the Y! Woohoo!!

Elizabeth Downie said...

You guys have convinced me. I'll try the neti pot tonight. Wish me luck!

D said...

I agree with the neti pot. It's tons of fun. Yeah... not so much but it does help. Even just a saline nasal spray will help.

Jan said...

Afrin works great, for nasal congestion. How 'bout a vaporizer. Never used a neti pot, but have heard of it. My mom used to heat up a pot of water on the stove & put a little Vicks Vapo Rub or peppermint extract in it, then have us stand over it with a towel over our head & breath the vapors (guess the vaporizer does the same thing).

E McL said...

Take yogurt or L. Acidopholis (refrigerated kind) to replace bad bacteria. Haven't tried it, but Advil has a new med for congestion due to inflammation... sounds like it's up my alley. Increased humidity usually helps, showers, humidified (not cold mist those get mildew-y). Hope you feel better soon!

Natasha and Jesse said...

Try the Netti pot because it really works. It's gross while you're doing it but after ward your sinuses feel much better. Even cheap saline in a squeeze bottle works like a Netti pot...

Unknown said...

Agreeing with everyone else, you have to try the netti pot. They even make some now that look less like a teapot and more like a scientific rinse bottle, called NeilMed Sinus Rinse, but it is the same. They are pretty inexpensive, $15 or so at CVS, and it was the best $15 I ever spent on one of my middle of the night desperate CVS runs. Except do it an hour before you go to bed, not in the middle of the night as it won't drain properly if you go to sleep right away. It is the best, because after you have tried all sorts of meds that don't work, this is still safe to use!

Anne Elliot said...

When I was on my mission and we got a cold the members would make us a pot of boiled potatoes - not to eat - but to use as a steamer - head over the pot, towel over the head. I don't know if I would say it works, but it's something new to try! :)

Ashley Arnold said...

"It didn't work because you didn't believe it worked..." HA HA HA! That made me laugh. Lol! Love it. Hope you're feeling better. :(