Pages

Sunday, January 23, 2011

Eli (zabeth) Whitney

I hate wrapping presents. I know it's not very girly of me to say that (aren't girls supposed to love wrapping gifts with tons of ribbons and whatnot?). It's just that it's too much work to try to make it look nice - cutting the paper out perfectly, making the creases flat, finding the tape, caring how it looks, etc, etc... It's just not my thing.

True story: a few years ago, I paid one of my sisters to wrap my Christmas gifts for me. Thank goodness for gift bags: the lazy girl's answer to gift wrapping.

Today though, I was running a little late for a birthday dinner for my cousin and didn't have any tissue paper to go in a gift bag or the time (and by time, I mean desire) to wrap his present, so I did this:


My cousin's 5 year old daughter looked at it and said, "That's not wrapping paper." I said, "What is it?" And she said, "it's soil." She meant foil. She said it like it was a bad thing! I know it's ghetto, but I kinda liked the way it turned out. I'm thinking about starting a line of tin foil wrapping paper. Ghetto fabulous, right?

Between that and the break up cards idea from yesterday, I'm on fire with inventing lately.*

Just call me Eli(zabeth) Whitney.

*I realize I'm probably not the first lazy bum to wrap a gift in tin foil. But I'm pretty sure I'm the first to add a bow. At least give me that.

11 comments:

Heidi said...

Elizabeth I love wrapping presents, so I'll wrap whatever you want :). I do love the tin foil though. And your ideas are just fabulous. I would totally buy break up cards.

Katherine said...

Hilarious! This post makes me laugh. "Ghetto fabulous." Ha! Way to innovate!!

Katherine said...

P.S. Thanks for the dollar.

violet50 said...

Hey, we always like the shiney Christmas wrapping paper the best so this is just one step away. And the bow was very festive. I'd buy your foil wrapping paper - unless it comes in a box marked "Reynold's Aluminum".

E McL said...

Never met a more girly girl. The fact that you dislike wrapping make me feel more feminine. Thanks.

Wee Sisters Three said...

Our family has always been big on "shiny" paper,did that not creep down to our offspring? I love it. Tin foils the new gift bag. Rock on sista!

Christi said...

It looks like a fruit cake. I'm just saying.
I hate wrapping too. I'm horrible at it. Probably because I don't care enough to put in the effort.

Elizabeth Downie said...

Christi, it WAS a fruitcake! That's the only problem with tin foil. Fewer surprises. ;)

(Don't worry, it wasn't really a fruitcake - my cousin would've killed me.)

Polly Anna said...

My mom told me that story. It's really cute and funny. It was Brooke Right. She's 2. Unless my mom got it wrong.

Elizabeth Downie said...

It was Emma. Haha! (It really was.)

Liz Hughes said...

My family used to use the comics section of the newspaper to wrap gifts. We are very white trash.