Pages

Monday, December 14, 2009

S. A. D.

I think I might have a little bit of the S.A.D. already. It doesn't usually hit me until February at which point my skin has become translucent from three months of cloud cover and the sun makes me cower like a vampire.

But here I am, in what is technically still fall, with a slight case of S.A.D. Hopefully that means I'll have it out of my system early, right?

It hasn't been too bad, don't get me wrong. I haven't been stuck in bed crying nonstop or anything like that. But for some reason this year the cold and gray caught me off guard and I've found myself feeling a bit blah.

The funny thing is that the strangest things seem to cheer me up. Like when our office dog has accidents in people's cubicles, or a very strange conversation with co-workers about whether we'd rather be stabbed in the gut or shot in the gut (after much debate, research, and terms we unanimously chose being shot). The topic isn't what cheered me up, just to be clear, but rather, the fact that we spent so much time debating it.

Since the S.A.D. caught me off guard, I wasn't prepared to fight it at first. But now I am, and I've felt significantly better the last couple days by focusing on the positive and keeping busy. In the spirit of levity and cheering up, here's a link to a funny video. If only I could remember any jokes I would share those, but my mind is incapable of remembering jokes for some reason. If you have any, please share. Together we can fight the winter blues! (When did this turn into a PSA?)

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

What about a tanning bed once or twice a week in the winter? It helps for me.

Kathy said...

Why did Snoop Dogg need an umbrella? Fo Drizzle

How do you get a Kleenex to dance? Put a little Boogie in it.

I was gonna add one that had to do with an orange, but I'm afraid Ann won't talk to me anymore.

I'm not sure about those jokes.I hope they didn't make the winter blues worse.

Ann said...

Kathy,
While I don't hate the boogie joke as much as I hate the navel joke, I am upset about it. Not speaking to you.

Katherine said...

"Fo drizzle!!" Hilarious.
I like the idea of finding joy in small things. That always helps me. For example, I was at the Public Museum of G.R. last week, and for some reason, the carousel there just made me so happy! It was so cheerful with the old timey music and the old people riding it (they really were) and waving at me as they passed by...I want to go ride it every day! We'll have to find little things like that over the break that you can do lots and lots...

Sarah said...

I find that going to a movie theater, the mall, IKEA...anyplace that is enormous and without windows...that's the way to get through this. If you can't see how dreary it is outside, it can't bother you! :)

Sara said...

They need tanning beds just for sunlight, not for actual tanning (i.e. that will cheer you up w/o giving you sun damage!).

I think the lack of light around this time of year is the worst part of the winter for me. And yes, I feel a bit blue lately as a result. February isn't too great either. By March I start feeling up a little more.

Sucks, but long walks outside even if it's cold help as far as sunlight goes. The woods are nice in the winter.

alecia said...

Wanna come over to dinner again this week or next? I have another great recipe to share/eat with you! Strict non-reality here : it is springtime outside.

David and Linda said...

Sometimes if you go to the botanical garden, it can make you feel like you're in Hawaii for awhile. I did that once in the middle of the winter; it was nice!

I can't think of any jokes, maybe it's genetic. That should stress you out. You could watch the episode of Northern Exposure about the headlamps.