Pages

Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Wednesday Thoughts

Well, it's a good thing I decided to stop blogging every day as of last week since I've been too sick since Saturday to come up with anything original to say. I went back to work today but for four days before that I was in bed almost nonstop so my blog posts would have been something like,

"Sleeping a lot, thank you Nyquil. Went through two boxes of Kleenex. Watched an entire season of Mad Men. Slept more. Coughing a lot. Need more Tylenol. Bored. Entertain me?"

But today I went back to normal life again. And I'm not going to talk more about being sick because being sick makes me so mad! It's frustrating when your body betrays you.

Anyway, back to Wednesday Thoughts (it is Wednesday, isn't it?)

1. I miss Gilmore Girls on ABC Family. I used to watch it every day after work. Now it's been replaced with That 70's Show. Who even likes that show?! Honestly!! It's not funny. I don't know how many times I have to say that. Searching for an alternative to watch after work today, I turned to the local news and found myself very amused by a newscaster who was apparently following a slow tele-prompter. I mean, unless she intended to talk like this:

"She's a mother of two.
Children, who just bought a new vehicle."

"The new center represents equality for all.
People. And opens today."

2. I don't know if people outside of Michigan or Ohio know this, but Michigan and Ohio resent each other a lot. I was going to say we're enemies but that's not exactly true. But there's definitely animosity, especially when it comes to sports. Why is this? I don't know. Maybe it goes all the way back to the Michigan/Ohio war that ended with us giving them Toledo in exchange for the Upper Peninsula. Maybe they're mad because they want the U.P. back. Tough luck, suckers!!! Either way, there's tension.

Anyway, I'm not sure if you guys have all heard about this or not, but it's been on the news that some guy in Ohio was a collector of exotic animals. He had over 50 of them, most of them pretty dangerous (tigers, lions, baboons, bears, and a monkey with an infection). Yesterday he committed suicide then released all of them. Or rather, the other way around. Police have been hunting down the animals, and killing them (there's still a few on the loose, including the infected monkey). Today on my home from work, I was listening to the radio and the DJ said, "This guy was allowed to keep that many exotic pets and I'm not even allowed to have a dog bigger than 30 lbs in my apartment!? Ohio!!"

The fact that he ended his diatribe with somehow making the problem "Ohio" made me laugh. Though for the record, I think Ohio's pretty ok. I like how it's round on the ends and hi(gh) in the middle.

3. Every year I blog about (and think about, and talk about) costume ideas for Halloween, but I almost always end up being super lame and not dressing up at all. Or being a witch, my ultimate cop-out costume. This year things are looking up, with the help of a group costume idea (which will be revealed later). But I think secretly I don't like dressing up. I always thought I did. It's strange when I make these realizations about myself. Do you like dressing up for Halloween?

Happy Wednesday.

7 comments:

E McL said...

Ha! I love MI history. I think I need more. Growing up in VA is it wasn't the civil war or the revolutionary war, my teachers didn't get to it... of course why would they cover another states history. But I want more.

I love that I'm retarded enough to have read the sentence about the other way around 2ce. Ha! I'm dumb.

Costumes I love, but as it's only weird folk that dress up as adults I'm officially lame. But secretly I would love to at least get Ts for the family of different sesame street characters. I live vicariously though. Scott's snake is currently about 12 foot long. I can't wait to finish it.

Glad you're better. I've missed not reading your blog.

Savd said...

I feel the **same** way about Gilmore Girls...what happened?! Let's start a petition!

And I'm VERY excited to dress up this year! :)

Dr. J said...

I didn't know Michigan and Ohio actual fought. When was this?

Katherine said...

Oh, silly Ohio. The Toledo Zoo and Museum of Art are great and all, but they're no Upper Peninsula. And how would they have gotten up there if they still had it? They would have to go through Michigan, the greatest state in the Union. And we would've taunted them the whole way, every trip, too.

I HAVE noticed your lack of costume in recent years, specifically your lack of a certain Dr. Emmett Brown costume... GREAT SCOTT! Your la llarona (sp??) costume was awesome, though! This year's your year! I'm going as a harassed grad student. Yeah, I know...

I hope you are feeling better! And we should petition for GG to come back to ABC Family! "Stop the Madness! Start the Gilmore Girls!"

Stephanie said...

Being sick is the worst. I don't know if you've seen this video, but I found it highly entertaining when I was sick and still having to function: http://youtu.be/VbmbMSrsZVQ Get feeling better!

Anonymous said...

I totally get it. I never write deep stuff...well mostly never. When I do, I wonder if it's too much. But then again, I do think to become a better writer, I need to dig a bit and push myself. It's a balancing act.

Liz Hughes said...

Why were they killing the animals? Why not just capture them and then take them to a zoo or back to Africa?