Pages

Friday, October 7, 2011

Fall

I know I've said this before, but October is truly the prettiest month of the year (at least, in Michigan, that is). The leaves haven't all changed yet, but they've started to. Have any of you gone "leaf peeping" before? "Peeping" has such a negative connotation, like you're leering through your window curtains with binoculars staring at the leaves without them knowing it, watching them change (colors).

I've never gone on any special drives to go leaf peeping, but I like the idea and I'm kind of thinking about maybe trying it out this month! Any tips? Driving a car to do this seems like a bad idea because the driver shouldn't be distracted, and plus, you're going too fast to really enjoy the leaves (at least, the way I drive). Walking seems to slow, roller skates are out of the question and a tandem bike seems like a disaster waiting to happen. Maybe a rickshaw?

Anyway, though I haven't done any official "peeping" this season, I've seen some pretty leaves, as pictured here. Every day I like to see which trees in the neighborhood have started changing. The bright red leaves are my favorite, but I also love the ones that are a myriad of colors - seemingly unable to land on just one. They're all pretty though, really. Do you have a favorite?

I hope you're enjoying fall as much as I am. Peeping or not.

8 comments:

Katherine said...

Heee heeeee! Man. So many good things about this post! Hilarity ("changing [colors]"! "A rickshaw"!) and beautiful photos! Oh, fall, it really brings out the best in us. :) I enjoyed my drive back & forth home over the weekend - I love finding those really vibrant trees that are starting to stand out so much. And I can usually drink in enough and keep my eyes on the road! It really is amazing the colors that appear! Thanks, fall!

Claire said...

October IS the best month...because it's really Clairetober. Here in UT, we already had snow on the mountains today. What is up with that? We're basically skipping fall (it was 80 degrees last week) and I am not pleased!

E McL said...

I drive. I prefer a convertible. I drive slow until I reach a patch of untouched leaves, then like jumping in a pile I drive as fast as I can. But it's a challenge to find a road that's quiet but still paved. My vote is Hot air balloon. Only drawback is there's no crunching.

Amy said...

I've been saying for years that my favorite month is June, because I love summer and warm weather so much. But a couple days ago I stepped outside and was surprised to find myself thinking that maybe my favorite month is actually October. (Then yesterday afternoon I stepped outside and saw snow on the mountains (!) so maybe I've changed my mind).

When I lived in Michigan, I took a leaf-viewing drive almost every year out along Huron River Drive, past Bird Hills Park. On a Sunday morning it was generally pretty quiet and I could drive as slow as I wanted.

Ashley said...

Yes--fall is beautiful! Pretty pictures!

SAC said...

There are lots of cool colors and effects you can see in fall. I'm not sure I have one specific favorite, but there was one that was really memorable. There was a large area around the road on teh way to church, this was in NY, where all the trees there were large overlapping, and made a thick overhead canopy. Not being able to see the sun, they had all changed to a solid pale yellow, with almost black trunks, and the light would shine down making all the leaves seem to glow surrouding you down below in quiet diffused yellow light. Breathtaking.
But I do have to say, my favorite method of leaf peeping is in a canoe down a river, like the huron by my house. Slow, quiet, peaceful, and absoletly beautiful. :)

Kate said...

Yes! I love leaves. I may be taking a special interest in them this year because I'm collecting a bunch for decorations at my wedding. But really I've collected and pressed leaves almost every year for 5 or 6 years. They are so easy to press and then the color stays and they are nice a crisp. I'm still trying to figure out why on the ground they go all brown and dead but if you take them inside and press them they will hold their color and won't fall apart. My favorite is to put them on my wall and enjoy them all year. But I may be a little crazy...

Liz Hughes said...

That's the definition of peeping?! Yikes, I've been doing that to my neighbors for years.