Pages

Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Wednesday Thoughts

this one's for the children
My 12 year old self would have been so proud of me yesterday as I walked into the Michigan student Union Ticketmaster to buy tickets for the New Kids on the Block/Back Street Boys concert in June.

When I approached the register, I said to the college aged girl working at the desk, "this is embarrassing, but I need three tickets to the NKOTB/BSB concert."  As she told me what seats were available, I asked her if she'd ever been to the Palace so she could give me a better idea of where the seats were. Her response was, "yeah but mine is even more embarrassing. I went there to see Brittany Spears."

Even though the concert isn't for three months, I got myself psyched up today by listening to a few old NKOTB favorites. Guys, I don't know how to say this but they didn't exactly stand the test of time. The first song I listened to was "Popsicle." As I listened, my thoughts went something like this, "Jordan should not be hitting those notes...oh no, not sing-talking!! I hate sing-talking!...wow this is a long song....why is she his Popsicle anyway!? what does that even mean!?!?"

I was also reminded of how, a couple years after I fell in love with NKOTB, when I was about 14 or 15, I had the distinct feeling that I might be getting too old for them. It was bittersweet. I dread the day when I make that realization about Justin Bieber.

Now it's time for a confession: this is not my first time seeing NKOTB in concert. It is only my second though, if that makes you feel better. And the first time was about twenty years ago when I was in sixth grade (dang, I'm old). I went with my friend Kristin. Her mom waited in the car for us the whole time, a sacrifice we naturally didn't appreciate at the time. When the guys came out on the stage, I was star struck, completely. I was totally mad about Jordan but I wouldn't have turned Joey down, had he asked me out. Sigh. Memories.

My sisters were too young to go to the concert back then, so we decided to make a sisters night out of it this time. It's going to be a blast. I just hope Jordan notices me this time...

Ok, now I want to hear from you: what was your first concert!?

Happy Wednesday.

17 comments:

Melanie said...

My first concert was Smash Mouth. That is not appropriate for a 12 year old girl. I do not know why I saw them in concert. I think it was free or something.

Ashley said...

NKOTB, too! I think I was like six!

Sarah said...

Yep, NKOTB at the Palace...I went with my family and Shelley Staebler...we made a HUGE dot matrix printed sign (you know, with the perforated side hole strips) that said "Sarah and Shelley Love You!" and we held that sign up with dignity through entire songs. :)

Erin said...

Back Street Boys with my mom! We went for my 11th or 12th birthday:)

BB said...

you are funny! thanks for sharing the blog with all of us (meaning people you don't know but who like to read your blog as a distraction at work).
My first concert was actually pretty cool. Coldplay, right after my mission, my date was my best guy friend from high school/church. He loved those men more than me, and now he is gay so there you go!

Sara said...

They Might Be Giants at the Michigan Theater. Sounds cool but it was actually kind of lame. One of those concerts with no spark. They were totally serious, and not that fun.

And thanks a lot, now I have boy band music in my head and probably will all day! ;)

Gabriel Velazquez said...

My first concert, Iron Maiden. I was 12. Not the most pleasent time. I end up with a broken knee. But good times at that time. By the way Back street boys, I remember them a lot since that was the hit group when I first came to the US. Pure american clasic...

Caitlin Whitaker said...

Cyndi Lauper during her Time After Time days. We were in the nosebleed section and I watched through binoculars. I saw Duran Duran in concert in the early 90's and was close enough to count Simon's nose hairs through the binoculars. I'm a big fan- A BIG fan. I actually built a shrine for Simon when I was in 9th grade and kept it lit with Christmas tree lights 24/7. We were going to get married and have a daughter named Lucy or Violet. Ah, memories!

Wee Sisters Three said...

Well, you .of course ,know mine: harry connick jr. Sigh. I am still in love with him. I was 11 and then I saw him again when I was in high school.
I'm thinking we might have to bring my inhaler when we see nkotb in case I hyperventilate. I am ssssssoooooo(to infinity) excited. We're going to have to decide if we're going to go with grown up indifference and strut in there with the triple c's (cool,calm and collected) at the concert or let our teen girl selves out and squeel. I'm thinking a little of both.

Mark said...

Black Sabbath, Nov 6, 1980, at the Salt Palace in SLC. I was a freshman in college. The opening act was the singer from Head East and his new band. Black Sabbath was on its Heaven and Hell tour, which I think was the only one with the lineup of Tony Iommi, Ronnie James Dio, Geezer Butler, and Bill Ward. I still have my ticket stub.

Katherine said...

They Might Be Giants was also my first concert - I saw them at Hill Auditorium in Ann Arbor when I was 14 - they were pretty good! My second concert was pretty awesome - Harry Connick, Jr. with my sibs! Speaking of embarrassing, though, I went to a 95.5 concert whose headliner was Macy Gray, but ended up also seeing Mandy Moore, Jessica Simpson, Hanson, Vertical Horizon, and BB Mak. AWESOME!!!

Katherine said...

P.S. "I dread the day when I make that realization about Justin Bieber." HA!!!!!

P.P.S. I am soooo excited about NKOTBSB!!! Heather, I think squealing is going to happen, whether we plan on it or not... I was SO bummed that I couldn't see NKOTB as a kid that this has to make up for my mania back then!

Brady said...

My first concert was Train, which I saw at Pine Knob just after I moved to Michigan. It was pretty good, with drops of jupiter in my hair and all. Turns out I actually enjoy smaller venues like The Ark.

Mary Burnette said...

Peter, Paul and Mary with my much older siblings!

Bil Burnette said...

Peter Frampton/Gary Wright COBO HAll 1976

CB said...

My husband bought me tickets to see New Kids and BSB for Christmas and I was so super excited! I saw them once before too - back in high school (1988 or so I believe) though so that makes me REALLY old if you were in 6th grade back then. I still think Joey is hot!

My first concert was probably some boring country concert that my parents dragged me along to ... Conway Twitty, anyone?

Liz Hughes said...

I think my first concert was Brittany Spears