Pages

Sunday, May 23, 2010

What I'm listening to

Music is a huge part of my life. I want to blog about it more often than I do, but I usually only end up blogging about it when I'm particularly confused by something I like, like that Justin Beiber song. It's usually at that point that I feel like I need to unburden myself by confessing it to you all.

But I thought, why not occasionally share some of the songs I'm enjoying that I'm not embarrassed by? I'm not sure how often I'll do this but here's my first "what I'm listening to" post. These are in no ways my favorite songs. These are just some songs I like and am listening to a lot right now. If you want to hear any of them, click on the name of the song and it will take you to a youtube video of it.

Be My Lover - Alice Cooper - This song rocks, no two ways about it. Plus, you gotta love a Detroit shout out, right? I know a local band that plays this song slightly better than Alice Cooper, but don't tell him that. And of course, I can't mention Alice Cooper without also referencing Wayne's World. Isn't Milwaukee an Indian word?

Ocean Man - Ween - this is a fun song that cheers me up when I listen to it.

Kickstart My Heart - Motley Crue - This song brings me back to my early teens when I had a penchant for those embarrassing hair bands (I still love them). It's a great work out song. Don't be ashamed.

Denise - Fountains of Wayne - This is a great, upbeat song. The downside is that it has some really stupid rhymes like:

I know this girl named Denise/she makes me weak in the knees/she drives a lavender Lexis/she lives in Queens but her dad lives in Texas.

Dumb, yes. As dumb as Summer Girls by LFO? No. Give it a quick listen - you might like it.

The Pasture (Frostiana) - "One of these things is not like the other..." This song is the odd man out on this list. It's such a beautiful and peaceful song, based on the poem "The Pasture" by Robert Frost. My favorite version is the one sung by the Mormon Tabernacle Choir but I couldn't find a video of that so here's another group. They performed it beautifully too.

Beat the Horse - Pomplamoose - Pomplamoose is a super fun youtube group. They sing their own versions of popular songs. This is one of my favorites of theirs.

So, that's what I'm listening to. This post probably isn't going to get any comments, but that's ok. I thought it'd be fun to share music with you guys and I'd love to hear what you're listening to right now as well.

And if you want to mock fun of me for listening to Motley Crue, now's your chance.

5 comments:

Sarah said...

I had that Alice Cooper song in my head all day after hearing "2 Hour Limit" play it on Saturday night...they did such a great cover! :)

And...I can officially say "I've Been Rick-Rolled!" :)

Mark said...

My old band used to play Alice Cooper's "Muscle of Love". I think his original band from Detroit was the best lineup.

Yesterday while driving, I heard "Your Decision" by Alice in Chains. I turned off the radio when the song was over so the song would stay in my head for a while.

At work I've been listening to '70s Genesis, when Peter Gabriel was in the band.

Thursday night the MSU student radio played a four hour tribute to the recently departed Ronnie James Dio. I sat in my car in the church parking lot so I could hear "Man on the Silver Mountain".

Favorite Motley Crue song: "Too Young to Fall in Love".
Least favorite song by Motley Crue: Most of the rest. Thhpppt.

Elizabeth Downie said...

Sarah, I'm so glad you took the bait. I've never Rick-Rolled before but I just had to do it. I couldn't find a good video for "Denise" so I decided it was the perfect time for some Rick-Rolling. lol

Katherine said...

I can't make fun of you for listening to Motley Crue because they're too awesome!! I've been listening to two main channels on Pandora-Jamie Cullum and Peter, Paul and Mary. Don't judge! Love 'em both!!!

Liz Hughes said...

Mock you for liking Mötley Crüe? Who would ever mock someone for liking one of the most awesome bands.