Pages

Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Wednesday Thoughts

I think we've had enough swine flu talk this week for a life time, don't you? In case you're still freaking out though and need to be calmed down, here's a link to an interesting article I read last night that puts things in perspective. Some interesting facts it gives:

13,000 people have died so far this year from the regular flu in the US
36, 000 die annually from the regular flu in the US
1 person has died from the swine flu in the US this year

So maybe we should calm down about the swine flu a little bit. And start freaking out about the regular flu!!! (That's what I'm doing anyway!! Seriously, I had no idea the risk I was taking when I skipped the flu shot last year.)

As I said before, I don't mean to make light of something has killed people and really is tragic. I'm just trying to keep some perspective.

Moving on to something lighter... last night Katherine (my sister) and I were having a serious conversation about some recent developments in stem cell research. Suddenly I got the song "She Blinded Me With Science" in my head and couldn't get it out. Even though Katherine begged me to stop singing it, I couldn't (or wouldn't as the case may be). Here's my question for you: is there any other way to dance to that song than the robot dance? I actually have a lot more questions about that song, but I won't get into them right now.

One more thing about the swine flu. I feel bad for the innocent pigs out there who are just trying to live their normal lives. Justin and Kathy and I were talking about our favorite pigs and wondering if they feel awkward going out in public now. I hope not. We still love you, Babe, Wilbur, and Ms. Piggy! (Check out poll on side to show your support.)



I don't really have a lot more Wednesday thoughts this morning. In fact, I keep thinking it's Thursday. That can't be good.

5 comments:

justin said...

36,000?!?! I had no idea the risk I was taking by not having a flu shot since I was a child. What can I say? I like living on the edge. I haven't had the flu since elementary school either. Now that I've said that I'm probably going to be the next one to die from swine flu. Great.

that was another tough vote. All three are really cute, even if Miss Piggy, but I had to go with Wilbur. I think it's the ears.

Kathy said...

There really isn't any other way to dance to that song. Especially when you're stopped at a red light. Believe me, I know.

I voted for Babe, of course. Cutest pig around. Miss Piggy is too bossy, and I've never read Charlotte's Web. (I despise talking spiders.)

Katherine said...

Do you think wearing a Hazmat suit to work would scare my students? It would certainly be safer than dealing with them face-to-flu infested-face. Thankfully I got my flu shot, so here's hopin'!

For the record, I believe that it was that you WOULDN'T stop singing...you definitely could've. ;) I'm grateful for that robot dance instructional video - just wait'll that song comes on again! You won't know what hit you! (It was my arm, by the way. I haven't mastered the dance yet.)

I think I may have somehow voted for "I distrust all swine" twice. Woops! I think it stems from the pig roast I planned a few years back. I'll never EVER forget that day, hauling that pig into my tarp-lined trunk with the help of a strange, bearded man... I'll never be the same.

Sarah said...

Today, we got an email with ways to protect ourselves against the "Human Swine Flu." I mean no disrespect to those that have been devastated by this illness, but hearing it called the Human Swine Flu brings up a mental image of some half-man/half-pig that is wrapped up in a Slanket to stave off his fever. (PS: If anyone saw the movie "Penelope"...I haven't yet...that gives you the visual image in my mind!). :)

Vaughn said...

i love how the swine flu is everywhere you turn, but not all at the same time, i wish that we could have statisticians tell us what approximate chances we have for something. "Utahn's you have a chance of 1 in 4 million of contracting the virus, maybe then people will worry less and sleep more... i miss my ZZZ's