Pages

Monday, April 23, 2012

Weekend Instagram Roundup

A super fun weekend like the one I just had deserves to be documented. I mean, I saw a lamb AND a Mason in the same weekend. Pretty sure that's a first for me. But hopefully not a last (actually I guess I'd be fine if it were the last since it's a pretty strange combo).

Unfortunately, I don't have any pictures from Friday night, which was a girls night with Erin and Katherine. We ate pizza, made cookies, hula hooped, talked about cute guys, and watched the most classic of chick flicks: Ace Ventura II: When Nature Calls. (That is a chick flick, right?) I hadn't seen that movie in years and I laughed a lot more than I care to admit. But how could I not with lines like this:

"Pride is an abomination. One must forego the self to obtain total spiritual creaminess, and avoid the chewy chunks of degradation." - Ace

I'm speaking at church next week. Should I find a way to fit that quote in?

Anyway, I thought I'd share with you some instagrams from the weekend but instead of explaining them as I go, I'll just tell you about them now and then you can scroll at your leisure, without the burden of words to slow you down.

1. On Saturday, I went with a group of friends to Greenfield Village, where we saw several baby lambs on the farm! We discussed smuggling one out in one of our purses, but none of us had enough space for a whole baby lamb. So sad. They were adorable times three.

2. As always, we stopped in Edison's laboratory, which was brought to Greenfield Village from Menlo Park, New Jersey. That chair that's nailed to the ground is where Edison sat for the Light's Golden Jubilee in 1929. Pretty cool, huh?

3. My friend Erin insisted requested that we ride the 99 year old carousel which turned out to be a pretty amusing experience. There was a long list of rules upon entering and while some were obvious, one caught us off guard: "Remember to stay within in the limits of your ability." Hm. Ok.

4. Ben wanted to ride the frog, which we were originally informed was insured for $250,000! But when he sat down on it, he was told he was sitting on half a million dollars. Apparently carousel frogs are extremely rare. Who knew? I rode a boar, in case you were wondering. The carousel ride was really fun but I almost slid off the boar I was riding when I took a few pictures and lost focus. I guess I wasn't staying within the limits of my abilities.
 
5. I have sort of a silly tradition with Erin and Katherine of taking pictures of them without them realizing it - not in a creepy way through windows or anything - just across the room when we're hanging out. Then I send them the picture and write, "I seen you." Just to be extra weird about it. You guys, I'm not creepy. It's just a joke, I promise. They love it. Anyway, they've gotten in on it too, and this was a picture Katherine sent to Erin and me later that day that she had taken of us walking, unawares.

6. At Greenfield Village, there's a pond with a covered bridge over it. It's so quaint! In the pond, we noticed a ton of koi swimming around. You can sort of see them in the lower left hand side of this picture.

7 &8. Later I met up with some other friends - Sara and Sarah - and we ate at a place called Honest Johns. Is John really honest? There's no way of knowing. Especially based on this sign inside the restaurant.

9. After dinner, Sarah and Sara and I headed over to the Masonic Temple to see a roller derby match. Across the street from the Masonic Temple is Cass Park, where all the playground equipment is tires. Seems fitting for Detroit, huh?

10. The roller derby was a blast. If you've never been to a roller derby match, I'd have to recommend it. Those girls are fierce. They all go by names like, "Misty Struction," "Eight Mile Rose," and "Honey Suckit." Here Sarah and I are pictured  with Daya the Dead. (She was super sweet, by the way.)

At one point during the match, Sara and I snuck out to get some snacks and decided to explore the Masonic Temple a little bit, which is rumored to be haunted. We didn't see any ghosts, but we did see a Mason (not quite the same). A cotillion was being held in the building at the same time, and Sara and I really wanted to sneak into it (or at least peek into), but we couldn't find it. So sad.

Ok, I've talked enough. Time for pictures.

1.




2.
3.
4.
5.
6.
7.
8.
9.
10.


What would your name be if you were on a roller derby team?

4 comments:

Katherine said...

It really was a fun weekend!! Wish I'd been able to see the ghost Mason and roller derby match! I do enjoy the sneaky pictures, too... :) I think my roller derby name would be something to do with art, like Frida Killo, or Grandma Mows-us, or maybe Kill Life Painter. Nobody steal those, now... :D

Unknown said...

That wouldn't be the worst thing I have heard over the pulpit.

violet50 said...

I think you SHOULD put the very funny (!)quote in your talk. Then they might stop asking you! Can you stay within the limits of your abilities and still think outside the box? Great pictures and fun post!!

Liz Hughes said...

What great pics.
I agree men do lie
I went to a roller derby name generator and my name would be Whippin Dixie.
I always take pics of you without you knowing. In fact I have placed several high tech cameras around your room and house.