Pages

Sunday, November 15, 2009

Will you still need me, will you still feed me...

fLast night I met up with a friend at a bar to see a band. I don't drink, but I go to bars now and then either to see bands or for karaoke. Last night something horrible happened. When I went entered the bar...I wasn't carded.

At first I thought the guy sitting there just wasn't carding people, but when I passed by him later, I saw him carding some girls who were walking in. I gasped and stared. I was outraged.

It hit me, and it hit me hard. I look over 21. I mean, I obviously look over 21. There was no doubt in the carding guy's mind. I wanted to give him a piece of my mind, but I was afraid I'd look like the lady in the picture above.

I comforted myself by talking bad about the girls he carded, "why that whippersnapper just thinks they're young because they're dressed liked floozies!" Then I grabbed my walker, hitched up my knee socks, muttered "kids" under my breath, and marched back over to my table, trying to put the incident behind me.

{Sigh.} Good thing I have my AARP discounts to comfort me.

10 comments:

Wee Sisters Three said...

remember when we wanted to look older?i think being older than the missionaries was when i started feeling older. T hat and the time the teenage bagger boy called me ma'am.

Melanie said...

You don't look a day over 21! That guy was blind.

(don't succumb to the botox injections!)

Anonymous said...

can you seriously be the funniest person ever?!

Anonymous said...

lol. I think I met you when you were 21 and that was? yesterday :)

It seems to me you age very well

Mario

Marilyn said...

I still remember the first time a good-looking young man called me Ma'am. It was a terrible day.

Sarah said...

I'm also traumatized by the ma'am factor...but not being carded on Saturday night, especially when I think the rule is to card anyone who looks under 40, well, that stung!! :)

Katherine said...

I still think he actually thought you were under 21, but also thought you were cute, so he didn't card you as a way of flirting with you. Maybe, had you not waved your cane at him, he might have tried to buy you a drink...

Mark Bowman said...

Saturday afternoon one of my neighbors across the street called me "Sir". I told him to get off my lawn.

AMy said...

my favorite post yet. the last two sentences, priceless!

Angela said...

I, too, had such a harrowing experience in August. Put-in-Bay, bachelorette party... some of the ladies with me were old enough to be my mother, and yet, I was somehow not carded. I, too, have felt such a sting. And it is NOT pretty!