Pages

Thursday, July 14, 2011

Mitten Smitten

It's mitten shaped. Case
you didn't notice.
My friend Emily is visiting this week. Though she lives in Utah now, Emily still has major Michigan pride. On Monday when I saw her, she was wearing a t-shirt with a picture of the state of Michigan on it and our state motto, "If you seek a pleasant peninsula, look about you." I have to be honest, I've never loved our state motto. It's just not tough enough, in my opinion. But it is true, I suppose. Michigan is a pleasant peninsula. Two peninsulas, actually.

I looked up some Michigan t-shirts the other day and my favorites were the ones that had these messages on them:

America's high five
America's first line of defense against Canada

The second one is kind of silly but made me laugh. Everyone in Michigan has at least a few cents in Canadian change in their pockets at any given time. And in much of Michigan, you can drive south to get to Canada! Pretty crazy, huh? There's so much more I could tell you about Michigan but I'll just convince you of its beauty with some pictures I've taken in the last year.


Thanks for letting me share some of my Michigan love with you all! If you're from Ohio, feel free not to comment on this post. ;)

8 comments:

Katherine said...

This post is the BEST! So is the great state of Michigan! I really do look around sometimes and wonder at how beautiful it is here, and how many awesome things there are: fresh water sandy beaches! beautiful countryside! 11,000+ lakes! cider mills! Downies! ;) Detroit! the fact that the state's shaped like a mitten! I could go on and on. Thanks for sharing the Michigan joy with everyone who's unfortunate enough not to live here. :)

Natasha and Jesse said...

I'm from Ohio, but I have to agree Michigan is pretty!

Mark said...

:)

E McL said...

Your pics are AMAZING! Still wanting to visit... some day! I love the Mitten Smitten. (You witty girl, you!) I certainly can't wait until I can break the piggy bank!

violet50 said...

I do love living in Michigan! So glad that our ancestors decided to settle here 170 plus years ago!

Mike said...

Michigan's motto is at least tougher than Maryland's, which is literally feminie:
"Fatti maschil, Parole femine" or "Manly deeds, Womanly words"
It almost makes me ashamed, but not quite.

Mary Burnette said...

My boss has one that has something like - Lake Michigan - Salt Free. Kinda cute.

Liz Hughes said...

That's the state motto? Really?
Utah's state motto is "Industry" it's short, simple, and to the point. I'm not sure what point it's trying to make but at least it's to the point.
I actually have some Canadian change in the cup holder of my car. It's been there for like 2 years.