Pages

Saturday, August 1, 2009

Home from vacation

There's something about going away on a vacation that reminds you that you can be someone else. That you are someone else, really. Not the person you've defined by the day to day activities of your daily life. You realize other parts of your personality that you either forgot about or didn't know about. Depending on the vacation, these things can be good or bad. You might have forgotten how much you love the people you're traveling with, or how much you enjoy reading or nature. Or you might realize that you have a shorter temper than you realized or that you don't like the same things you used to. Either way, stepping away from your normal life gives you a new perspective on yourself and your life.

I had a fabulous time this past week. I couldn't get enough of my nieces and nephews. They are cute and funny and snuggly. I had a great time with the rest of my family too. And frankly, I'm not ready to go back to normal life. But there is one thing I am very much looking forward to: sleeping in a bed that has no sand in it. I have no idea how I got so much sand in my bed (although I have some suspects, and they're mostly under three feet tall and may or may not have been jumping on my un-made bed after going to the beach)!

But I feel refreshed and re-energized! Now I just have to plan my next vacation...

4 comments:

Amy said...

I agree - I'm sometimes surprised by myself (for better or for worse) when I go on vacation. And I find that distancing myself from regular life is one of the best ways to gain perspective and prepare to dive back in. Glad you had fun up north :)

Sarah said...

What a great perspective on vacations! :) And, if you are in the market for another getaway, I nominate Cedar Point! :)

Katherine said...

I agree, too! I really hate to go home from vacations sometimes! But the memories always help sustain me through the rest of the year - especially bitter Michigan winters.

David and Linda said...

When I go on vacation I realize how driven I am the rest of the time. It is really hard for me to sit and do nothing but look at the waves breaking on the sand. But I get into the groove after a while and come to know that I have to learn to relax a little more in my life and not feel guilty doing things other than "tasks". It was fun!!