Pages

Thursday, May 19, 2011

Save the Date!

In case you guys haven't heard yet, a certain religious group (I'm honestly not sure what religious group it is) believes the Rapture is coming Saturday. I'm not sure what time on Saturday though, so it's probably better just to clear the day.

No offense meant to that group, but I don't think the Rapture is Saturday. Now that I've said that I'm probably going to get Left Behind, huh? Anyway, I've been really enjoying all the Rapture talk this week, regardless. Did you know there's a website where you can sign up to have your loved ones taken care of when you are taken up and they're left behind? There's also a "Post Rapture Looting Party" event on Facebook. Which may be taking things too far, but which sort of made me chuckle. Wow, I really am going to be Left Behind with talk like that.

A friend and I have been going back and forth this week about what we would do if we believed the Rapture was on Saturday. His list was mostly full of semi-criminal behavior. Mine was something like:

1. Get my repenting up to date.
2. Not show up to work the rest of the week.
3. Eat whatever I want (remember those lists we made of what we'd eat if we
knew we were dying tomorrow? Time to get those out!).
4. Make sure my friends and family knew about the Rapture and spend the rest of
the time until then just chilling with them.
5. I can't decide on #5. Too much pressure.

If the Rapture were Saturday, what are the top 5 things you'd do between now and then?

"Nice Rapture, Einstein!" - Dr. Hibbert

No religion bashing please, this is just meant to be a light conversation. About the Rapture. That is possible, right?

18 comments:

Christi said...

I am so offended by this.
Also, you need to consider that the Rapture is Saturday, but IN WHAT TIME ZONE? The end could really be Friday, or Sunday. I'm really concerned about the whole thing.

Elizabeth Downie said...

Hahaha, I'm sure you're offended Christi. SO offended. ;)

Yeah, I'm not sure about time zones. I thought about that too. I mean, for people on the other side of the world, it could start tomorrow.

I'm going to be struck down for this conversation.

Anonymous said...

I haven't received my evite for Saturday.

An admirer from the distance. ;)

Katherine said...

Man, I laughed so hard when I saw your pictures! I love the quote from Dr. Hibbert, too! Ha! I'm with you on the list of five. I think I'd do the same. Probably blow all of my savings (ha! like I have savings...) on crazy stuff, just 'cause. Or else I'd donate it to the post-Rapture pet shelters. No offense to the Rapturites, of course, but is the mascot of the Rapture the raptor? It should be. Yep, I'm getting left behind, too.

Mike said...

Man, I was way behind on this Rapture stuff, I didn't even realize until today it was Saturday (I only realized because of people's comments on the facebook event)! Luckily I planned well intuitively, as if I knew rapture were coming, I would spend the week watching Arnold movies.

I like the xkcd.com rapture comic. "Are you worried about the rapture?", "No, unless it figures out how to open doors."

violet50 said...

So with the different time zones, the rapture will kind of be like "the wave" at stadiums, with people going up in waves across the time zones. It might be kind of pretty if you were looking at it from a space ship. If I knew it were going to happen:
1 - Eat whatever I wanted.
2 - Travel to Hawaii.
3 - Rest.
4 - Stop going to work.
5 - Forget those bills.

Savd said...

I love the idea of the Rapture wave as viewed from space! :) Excellent imagery! :) I think my #1 thing to do would be to stop going to work...except I don't think there is a code specific enough to cover this absence...I guess under "Other" I can fill-in "prepping for the Rapture." :)

Alycia Grayce (Crowley Party) said...

hmm... I can't believe I haven't heard of this. Personally I don't think we are going to know an exact date of when this day is coming. That is just what I have got from the scriptures I have read.

Alycia Grayce (Crowley Party) said...

p.s. LOVE the Simpson picture haha, oh &yes I would eat a million cupcakes!

Liz Hughes said...

1. Go up to the guy I like and kiss him (if the rapture doesn't occur I will be really embarrassed the next day)

E McL said...

The wave and kissing random strangers nice! I'd sleep. It's long overdue and the kids could survive until then:D

elliespen said...

Not sure about what else I'd do, but I'd probably sign up for this: http://eternal-earthbound-pets.com/Home_Page.html

Heather said...

I guess I would get my kids rapture ready and go ahead and actually use my credit cards for some kickin' last five days outfits!!

(My students were asking me.....slightly worried..about this today)

Anonymous said...

1. Procrastinate.
2. ...
3. ...
4. ...
5. Remember there was some big thing happening on Saturday.

MarkJJohnson said...

I found a timely quote about this:
"The second coming of Christ is tomorrow. It may not be today's tomorrow, but most assuredly it will be one day's tomorrow. So it's best to be ready on today's today."
-Levi Edgar Delk


My own personal list would be:
1. Talk to the girl I am crushing on.
2. Watch Mythbusters while enjoying a Mountain Dew.
3. Make sure my Home Teaching was done.
4. Help out my fellow man.
5. Load up the shotgun in case I'm left behind in some zombie apocalypse.

Mark said...

I'm just looking forward to it being a lot quieter at church on Sunday.

Amy m said...

1 Enjoy some good laughs at a fun blog.
2 Throw out lots of stuff just to leave a clean room behind
3 Crash a temple session or two
4 Spend time with nephews And niece instead of going to work
5 I don't know

Then again maybe I feel a little more practical because I'm working towards a wedding...

D said...

Haha Well, I wouldn't have bothered to start potty training my 3 year old this last week if I had believed today was the rapture. He's having moderate success though so I am looking forward to not buying as many diapers next week. :)