Pages

Saturday, November 1, 2008

It's beginning to look a lot like...

Christmas? Well, Halloween is officially over. But the great news? Next comes Thanksgiving and Christmas! Every year I'm surprised at how early the Christmas decorations come out in the stores. I know this bothers a lot of people, but I actually like it. I know some of you will think I'm crazy for that!

Meanwhile, the fall colors are still here, as beautiful as ever. I've been dog sitting for a sweet dog, Daisy, for the past week or so. She loves to go for walks at County Farm Park in Ann Arbor, which I had never been to up until a week ago! It has really nice walking trails, and the colors on the trees are gorgeous. I took the picture to the left there yesterday. If you guys haven't been there, you should check it out!

Anyway, I hope you all had a great Halloween! Anyone have anything terrrrrrifying happen? I hope not. I went to a Halloween party, then I watched the Changeling, which was scary as always (surprisingly it hasn't changed since the last time I saw it). I also passed out candy and was pleased that the weather was perfect for trick-or-treaters, which is rare in Michigan! I remember trick-or-treating in my winter coat some years, which sort of made dressing up underneath pointless. It bummed me out, but the promise of gorging myself on candy when I got home made all that pain go away.

After trick-or-treating, the first thing I'd do was dump out all the candy and admire my loot. Then I'd divide it into groups: chocolate, fruity, suckers, and undetermined. I've since learned that this is a not so uncommon. Now, as a so-called "grown up" I just buy the candy I like, and hope for left overs. This year's left overs should last me through...at least Tuesday.

6 comments:

Katherine said...

HA! I like that Necco Wafers and Mary Janes are "undetermined!" I mean really, what ARE they? I helped James sort his loot this morning, and as I did, it was like I was a kid again! I was like, "Oooh! ANOTHER Snickers! That makes 78 candy bars! And 17 suckers, 3 weird liquidy things, 2 peanuts, a HSM gummy thingy! No WAY! Wait, 2 peanuts? In their shells? What the..."

Priscilla said...

I actually saw people selling Christmas trees out of the back of a truck on the side of the road on our way to trick-or-treating! No joke - would a tree even live to see Christmas if you put it up on Halloween??

Julie Barb said...

Yes...I saw them stocking the shelves with Christmas stuff at Wal Mart today...but I'm with you...I like it! I say let the Holiday season last as long as possible...I love it!!

Anonymous said...

I was out at a Halloween costume party last night somewhere in Royal Oak, and actually uttered the following potentially terrifying phrases:

"I'm just going to follow the Terminator through the crowd...oh dang it, Prince just got in my way!"
"Dude, I think Annie Lennox just asked the Corpse Bride to dance with her!"
and
"Do you think the Nightmare Before Christmas guy is cute under all that make-up?"

Only at Halloween! :)

Dallan said...

Bethany and I took all of the candy bars from Claire's bucket and lined them up in order of best to worst. I had always taken it as a given that anyone in their right mind would put the Snickers at the front of the line, but boy was I wrong. Talk about controversy. We should have just stuck to your piles trick.

Elizabeth Downie said...

It's definitely been my experience that it's best not to discuss what the best candy bar is. It's up there in the sensitive subject category - it should be: politics, religion, and candy. People can get pretty touchy about it! I agree that Snickers would be at the front of the line, along with Milky Ways and Twix. Although the bite size Twix are a bit of a let down, size wize. I mean, come on.