Pages

Thursday, November 6, 2008

I can't help myself

What an emotional and happy week. I've been unsure about what I wanted to say on my blog about the election. I think most, if not all, of you know that I am an Obama supporter. I've tried to not to talk about it much on my blog because when I first started my blog, I made the decision to keep it surface level and... safe, I guess. I certainly don't want anything I write to anger or upset any of my friends. And I know that some dear friends who read my blog are quite unhappy about the results of the election.

So what do I do... do I move on and not mention it? Or can I write that I am happy and hopeful and moved and emotionally overwhelmed that Barack Obama is going to be the next president? I suppose the mere fact that I am writing this in my blog shows that I feel a need to express myself and my happiness. But I also don't want to offend or stir up angry feelings in anyone.

If you voted for McCain, I respect that. I trust that you voted for who you thought was best and that you believed in him. You and I probably have a lot of the same concerns and worries but take a different approach as to how to solve them. I hope that you can respect that I choose Obama because I believe him to be the best candidate to lead the country right now. I voted for him because I've watched him and listened to him during his campaign, and I trust him and have high hopes for him. I can't wait to see how he does, and I hope to see him become the kind of president we need him to be. And I am happy this week.

5 comments:

Brady said...

Congrats Elizabeth! I have high hopes for the next adminstration. It is an historic moment for sure. I was only ever 51% for my choice for McCain, so the other 48% was for Obama (I did save 1% for a random third party.) I hope we, as a nation, can transcend the divisiveness that has defined that last several years, and I think that Obama can do that.

I guess this means that I should probably finish his book now. At least McCain didn't win on that regard. Talk about a yawn fest (his book, I mean, not the Senator). :)

Anonymous said...

I'm glad to see that you restrained yourself - I know you could pull out some Dr. Mario like trash talk if you REALLY wanted to. Which I actually think would be quite funny. And regardless of whether or not we think Obama will be a good president - we are stuck with him for the next four years so we should all get used to it (even if it is somewhat reluctantly). I'm glad the election is over. It's been a long few years of campaigning. And I'm really excited to see all the Michelle Obama outfits. :)

Anonymous said...

Although, I would have been excited to see Sarah Palin's outfits as well. It really is a win win. haha.

Loves it!

Priscilla said...

I think it's great that politics in America can illicit such strong passion and emotions in all of us, as we have seen so much this campaign year, especially. To know that we all want good things for our country, and that we each make a very personal choice about whom we support to govern, is what freedom of democracy is all about! Now we all will be waiting to see how he does...:)

Katherine said...

Well said, well spoken, B.G. (Name that movie!) That was very well written, E, and says everything I've been feeling/thinking! I'm so excited and hopeful!!