Pages

Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Wednesday Thoughts

Some of you may be familiar with the Dove "Real Beauty" ads. I saw several people post this video yesterday and when I finally watched it, I was glad I did. Here is the video:


The first half of the day, I saw people posting this video, talking about how much it meant to them. But by the end of the day, I started to see posts of people criticizing it (articles such as this). While I understand their observations and complaints, it doesn't take away anything from the video for me. While the video may not be perfect, the overall point of it is what I could relate to: that we are too hard on ourselves and don't see ourselves clearly.

External beauty isn't the most important thing about who we are, of course. But how we see ourselves does affect us and the way we approach certain things (in my case, dating). And we often don't see our internal beauty either. If you were to describe someone you think is beautiful, would you say, "she's a little overweight, but she has nice eyes"? No. You'd probably say, "she has great eyes and she's kind to everyone."

What do you think of the video?

Ok, moving on to other Wednesday Thoughts.

Could you guys believe the amount of misinformation that was distributed about the Boston marathon bombings on Monday? It feels like any and all information I read on Monday was dis-proven on Tuesday.  I understand that the various news sources feel rushed to be the first to get the "scoop" but it felt really irresponsible. That being said, I hope all of you are ok and weren't anywhere near the horrific event.

In much less important thoughts, Rush is being inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame tomorrow and I wish I could be there! Rush is one of those bands that, even though they've been around for 25 years, I've only gotten into in the past year or two. I love being introduced to "old" bands and having tons of music to listen to by them. It's kinda like being introduced to "Lost" now and being able to watch all the seasons at once.

What's a band you got into deep into their career?

Sorry to post two videos in one day but this is one of the best things I've seen from SNL in a long time. Here's part one:


part two:


Happy Wednesday!

2 comments:

violet50 said...

I think the Dove experiment is very valuable in helping us see that maybe we aren't the most objective observers of ourselves, inside and out.
I love the Margaret Thatcher sketch!
My Wednesday's been good because it's warm and sunny. A novelty these days!

Katherine said...

I agree with what Momsy said! I think we are way too self critical. I also think the MT sketch is sooooo good! Those SNL guys are hilarious! As for the misinformation, I wish we could get tomorrow's news today so we can know what's what. Did that make sense? it might be bedtime.