Pages

Monday, September 15, 2008

It's a jungle out there.

I prefer working out after dark - not really late at night, mind you, but around dusk. My main reason for this is that I really don't look my best when I'm working out - huffing and puffing while I'm jogging, or riding my bike with my pant leg rolled up (or worse, tucked into my sock - yeah, I've done that). And the thing is, when I exercise during the day I'm constantly being told by friends, "hey, I saw you jogging yesterday!" Then I have to ask in a semi-angry tone, "Oh, was that you who honked at me?" One of my pet peeves is being honked at when I'm on a walk or jog. It always scares me to death, and instead of waving at the person who honked, I always glare at them. Then I feel bad when it turns out to be my grandma, or someone from church. One time it was Kathy and I felt really bad when I realized it was her after I'd glared. I tried to wave to make up for it but I think she had already passed. Her husband was in the car, and I think that was his first impression of me. So I guess I have a few reasons for exercising after dark: 1) less visible, 2) less honking, and 3) less remorse for glaring.

The only problem is that many consider being out after dark dangerous. I usually laugh when I hear that because I live in a fairly safe town. The only real danger around here is the animals. It's not the wild or anything, but there's a surprising number of wild animals around here. You know, chipmunks, bunnies, skunks, deer, squirrels, and some coyotes. Some animals are less scary than others. I've known there were coyotes in the near vicinity for awhile, but so far they've let me be. But now I have a new reason to be afraid of jogging alone after dark: wild boar. You heard me correctly. There was an article about it in the newspaper today. They've been spotted right here. The article said that if you have a valid Michigan hunting license, you should shoot them if you see them. What!? That makes me a little nervous.

I went for a jog tonight and happily, didn't see any of those boars. I mean, I've seen Lost, people! I know the dangers of boars! Maybe I should re-watch the first season and get some tips on hunting boar. Although, I've never even held a gun, so I don't think watching a t.v. show for tips is going to get me very far.


Most women worry about jogging after dark because they're afraid of crazies who might abduct them, but oh no, not me. I mean, yeah, that scares me but I try not to think about it. But the boar...I don't know. Maybe I should just join a gym.

12 comments:

Christi said...

I like working out after dark too, I have more energy that way. Maybe you should research how fast wild boars can run, to see if you'd be able to get away!

Anonymous said...

If you ever need to borrow my crossbow while you're jogging at night, just let me know. Then we can split the bacon for breakfast with Justin.

p.s.- Now that I know how you really feel about getting honked at, I'll make sure to honk a song at you the next time. Maybe "Mary Had a Little Lamb" or the classic- "Shave and a Hair Cut, Two Bits." It'll be a suprise.

Anonymous said...

I heard there are some vicious sea lions lurking around in Mill Pond and the Saline River (is there a Saline river?). Just be careful out there...

I like when Kathy's nice side comes out. Although she does owe me bacon anyway for stealing my peach yogurt that one day.

Anonymous said...

You can't prove anything Justin. Besides, you told me I could have some granola, and then you never gave me any. I will NEVER forgive you for breaking your word. NEVER.

Elizabeth Downie said...

Do I need to separate you two?

JJF said...

Yes, animals are a concern around here. Last school year, I stepped out for a leisurely stroll, and out of nowhere, a skunk appears and chases me down the road and into my house!! OK, maybe it didn't really follow me, but I wasn't about to take chances. Skunks are scary!

You also forgot to mention the danger of getting hit by a car at night. I hope you wear your brightest colors, reflective tape, a few reflectors, and anything else that might draw attention to yourself. Then, we, your readers, will know that you are safe on the streeets...and that we can still identify you and honk as you run by in your ridiculous running costume.

Anonymous said...

My first thought was, "She'll write about anything to put in a picture of Sawyer!" Ha! But, after our walk today, I can see the validity in fearing for your safety if something boar-related came at ya...heck, we get a little skittish if a squirrel rustles near us! So then, I got to thinking, you should wear reflective tape like the last commenter suggested, and you should get it to spell out "Honk if you love me!" on the back of your jogging poncho (you do wear a jogging poncho, don't you?? Ha, I can see it now!) And finally, I must say that the environmentalist in me is so thrilled with our increasing wildlife populations! Yay nature!! :) I'm not too concerned with skunks, boars, etc. However, if wooly mammoths make a return, call me!

Anonymous said...

What? You don't like being honked at? That's the only reason I ever run or ride my bike.

But you do have to watch out for the wild boar. I remember reading a similar article about that last year. They do all kinds of damage and are not good to have just roaming around. And if you do kill one, you're supposed to cut off its head and take it to the DNR for testing (seriously). Crazy, huh?

Elizabeth Downie said...

What? Cut off its head? Dang that DNR is bossy! They're really asking a lot of of us with that request. Gross.

Sarah, I'm suprised to hear you say that you like the wildlife coming back. I'm remembering a time when we were at Bird Hills and heard a rustle... I said I thought it was Big Foot and you got all scared. Didn't like the wildlife so much then, did you?

Oh and good ideas Sarah and Jonathan about the reflective tape. I'll get on that.

Christi said...

I think you're forgetting that while reflective tape will make you more visible to passing cars, it will also make you more visible to wild boars whose heads you have to try to cut off...

Elizabeth Downie said...

Very good point. I've heard that boars are drawn to reflective tape. I better get my hunting license after work today. Gotta be prepared ;).

Shauri said...

hilarious. did i already say that?

Boars- that's a new one. Are they only in Saline or should we be worried in Ann Arbor too?

Join Golds. I belong and I need someone to make me go there when it turns cold.