Pages

Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Brave new world

Well guys, it happened. You know what I'm talking about: new facebook. We were finally forced into it against our will. We knew it was going to happen - we saw the warning signs (literally, there was a warning posted). Some of us kicked and screamed, some were in denial. I even joined a group to protest it: 1, 000, 000, AGAINST THE NEW FACEBOOK LAYOUT! And even though 2, 191, 531 joined, we were powerless against the force that is Mark Zuckerberg.

So, along with you, I have been busting my butt, pulling all nighters, and calling friends in desperation in an attempt to figure out new facebook. I panicked when I couldn't find Scramble (don't worry, I found it). And worse, today was my friend at work's birthday, and even though I sent her a piece of flair that says "happy birthday, " I don't think she got it! Last I heard, she couldn't find her flair board on new facebook. I may never know because I'm not 100% sure how to find the flair board on her profile either.

Ok, I'll admit that I am exaggerating my reaction to the new facebook. But it has been pretty amusing this week to see the status updates in my news feed as one by one people are forced onto new facebook. There's been a lot of:

"Shawn Spencer REALLY REALLY HATES NEW FACEBOOK!!!!" and...
"Jack Shephard misses old facebook!" and even...
"Angela Martin is hating the new facebook and wants to go back to old facebook!!'

I changed the names, but I didn't change the drama. What do you guys think? Have you been able to find your important facebook info yet? Has the change turned your worlds upside down? ;)

10 comments:

Brady said...

I am probably the only person in the whole world who likes the new facebook. But there it is, I like it. In fact, because of the crappyness of the browser at work, for the last month, I actually had to use the old facebook there, when I would have much preferred new facebook like I get at home.

Anyhow, if you want the old facebook back, here's a link that tells you how to get it back:
http://valleywag.com/5051306/how-to-go-back-to-the-old-facebook

Anonymous said...

I knew the evil would soon come, so I caved several weeks ago and just switched over before they made us. It really helped me ease into it and has, for the most part, allowed me to keep my sanity. And...I have to admit, it isn't so bad.

Amy said...

Brady, you're not alone! I really like the new facebook too. When the option first appeared, I decided it was probably inevitable and I wouldn't fight it. I switched over, hated it for about a day, wondered why they wanted to change something that worked just fine as is, and then very quickly realized that the only reason I hated it was that it was unfamiliar. In fact, once I got used to it I found that I really liked the new layout and features, and wouldn't dream of going back.

But I've been laughing at all the status updates about hating the new facebook. It makes me happy that I accepted it weeks and weeks ago so that I could feel like it was my choice rather than being forced upon me :)

Elizabeth Downie said...

I agree, Amy. It really was the fact that it was so unfamiliar that made it easy to hate. Now that I've adjusted to it, I think I like it better too. In fact, Katherine didn't get forced to the new one until a few days after me and when I saw old facebook on her screen, I said, "wow, it looks so archaic!" So I guess I do prefer the new one in some ways. But I was very resistant to the change!

Christi said...

I hate the new Facebook because it's constantly locking up on me, and half the time I can't type anything in the chat box. There is a weird clicking noise when I'm on the site, and I find that if I wait until I hear the click I can hurry and type something in my chat box. Then it will just stop typing and I have to wait for the click again. It's maddening. And it's happening on multiple computers, so it's not my laptop that is a problem.
I also joined 1,000,000 against the new Facebook, and I've never felt so passionate about any of the other groups I've joined!

Anonymous said...

I just got on Facebook this summer, so I think I was already using the new version, which is a bit bland - why is my flair board hidden away on some random tab, for example?? I take great pride in my awesome flair, people!

Oh, and if anyone knows Mark Zuckerberg's number, I'm single, and looking for a billionaire sugar daddy! (Seriously, that is CRAZY that any person is worth that much money!!!!)

Katherine said...

You know, Jack Shepherd WOULD miss the old Facebook, having been on that island for so long and all... I'm with Sarah. Who cares about anything else, just let me show my flair with pride!!

Monica said...

THIS IS EXACTLY WHY I DONT HAVE FACEBOOK......you people are nuts :)

Elizabeth Downie said...

Hahaha, you're absolutely right Monica. (For real!)

Liz Hughes said...

I hate Mark Zuckerberg, he's the worst.