Pages

Thursday, January 26, 2017

El Generalissimo

So far, things have been much, much, much worse than I expected since Trump became president. I read an article last night on Slate titled, "Wednesday was the worst day yet," which listed all the terrible things Trump has been up to this week. (Click the link for more info.)

The White House website en espanol has been taken down. Thankfully, a spokesperson said it would be back up eventually, but you can't blame people for freaking out about this when Trump has come out so hard against Spanish-speakers. (Has anyone told him about Puerto Rico yet?)

Also, I'm just putting this out there for all the people who say, "your in America, learn English." I know that's the wrong "you're" but they almost always use the wrong your on their signs so I'm just being accurate.

Because I'm elderly, I sometimes google entire sentences

Today, to just kind of work some things out, I made a word bubble with just some of the words or feelings that have been on the forefront of my mind in the last six days or so. The word cloud makes it look cute instead of terrifying.



I could have kept going but each new word was just a synonym for a word already on there: terrified, scared, frightened, etc... I forgot some key ones such as the fact that Merriam-Webster and the National Parks Services are leading the resistance - who would have thought!? Well, them and Greenpeace:

I love this so much.
And what about this stupid meme I've been seeing?



This is just dumb (oh no --- I'm starting to talk like a third grader --- I'm following the example of the Cheeto!!). We don't want Trump to fail or "crash the plane." Resisting Trump isn't wanting the pilot to fail. What we are trying to do is to reach someone on the radio and shout, "Our pilot doesn't know how to fly! HELP!" or "He's flying us to a place we don't want to go!!!!" Either that or we're desperately trying to learn how to fly a plane ourselves so we don't crash. 

Oh and don't get me started on the people against the women's march. Who needs rights, amiright?


It's telling that George Orwell's book 1984 has been flying off the (Amazon) book shelves this week. And how disturbing is it that this is the quote resonating with us this week?

"The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." - George Orwell, 1984

The other quote from that book I've thought of a few times this week is this one: 

"The essential act of the Party is to use conscious deception while retaining the firmness of purpose that goes with complete honesty." -1984

Will things get better? I don't want the plane to crash. But I do not trust our pilot.

2 comments:

Jules AF said...

😘 preach. I never ever thought I'd be this political, but fuck. Here I am. (Excuse my language)

violet50 said...

When this kind of leader comes into power it is essential for the citizens to hold him responsible for all of his words and actions and to fight back against evil in any form. We've seen examples in history (Nazi Germany, eg.) where too many people looked the other way or tried to smooth things over, not believing in or refusing to see the evil. Or worse yet, they agreed with the course set forth by their leader.
Solidarity is important - not letting others try to separate us through public ridicule and disdain. I have a very good concept of who I am and don't need outsiders' approval. And I am going to fight.