Pages

Friday, February 13, 2015

A Thought on Valentine's Day

As someone who loves love (as a friend), I've always had a good relationship with Valentine's Day. Bigger holidays like this are hard for a lot of people though because they put a microscope over your life and make you examine the part of your life the holiday is focusing on. Which in this case, of course, is love.

Honestly, Christmas is the hardest one for me - the holiday that makes me feel the most lonely and most critical of my life. But Valentine's Day doesn't make me lonely because while I might not have the life I thought I'd have at this point, I do have plenty of love.

Yesterday I took part in a medical survey for the county I live in. The woman giving the survey asked questions about every aspect of my health - physical, mental, emotional. She asked very personal questions and for the most part showed no reaction to any of my answers, but just moved swiftly to the next question.

But when we got to one question, she softened for a just a couple seconds. The question was:

How often do you get the emotional support you need?

Always
Sometimes
Neutral
Rarely
Never

I thought about it for a second and I pictured my family, my friends, and my church group, then I answered "Always." She said in a sincere voice, "That's really nice."

And it is nice - I'm very lucky.

But before you think I'm being too mushy, I don't only love humans and God and stuff like that. I also love these gifs:






(My love life)





Happy Valentine's Day!

3 comments:

Jesse Davis said...

And you luuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuurve Michigan like I love pizza.

Nate Stamper said...

I freakin' love this.

Leon Family said...

Love you and this post!