Pages

Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Wednesday Thoughts

I got a new coat this winter. It's full of feathers and it's very warm - in fact, it's supposed to be so warm that it will keep me warm even in temperatures of negative forty.  So up till now I've been welcoming the cold weather as a challenge. When I hear it's going to be really cold I think, "bring it!" Then I turn to my coat and say, "let's see what you're made of" in a super challenging tone.

The problem however, is that my coat isn't a snowsuit. Meaning, my torso and arms are pretty warm, but my legs and fingers are mostly frozen. So I need a better plan if I'm going to survive winter... But on a more positive note, it made me think of a poem which I will share with you now:

I heard a bird sing

I heard a bird sing
in the dark of December
a magical thing
and sweet to remember.
"We are nearer to spring
than we were in September,"
I heard a bird sing
in the dark of December
- Oliver Herford

I like that thought. And as far as other thoughts are concerned, I thought I'd share some instagram pictures with you today from the last few days, including Christmas. I hope you all had a wonderful Christmas! I know I did.

EXTREEEMME CLOSE -UP! (Waynes World reference)
My niece and I after doing each others hair
Luminaries lining the street on Christmas Eve
Broken ice today. See the little heart?
A cool lamp at a restaurant today. My friend said it wasn't cool
but that's where he's wrong because it clearly is.

One more update: I'm halfway through my vacation and I'm not at all bored yet. Usually I get all "rawr-I'm bored-what do I do with all this free time!?" But not this time. I'm loving life this week. I'm sleeping in, shopping, working out, napping, and so forth. What's your favorite thing to do on vacation?

Happy Wednesday!

4 comments:

Katherine said...

I like that poem! Such a nice thought! ;) Great photos, too!! :) Yay Wednesday!

Diane said...

You are too cute!!

violet50 said...

Thanks for sharing that poem! I love the sentiment. I start thinking about spring this time of year. But I still have fun things to experience before then. Sometimes the thought of a warm spring breeze is enough to get me through. Anticipation. I'm enjoying my time off work, too. Especially sleeping in and not having to rush off to work. And there are movies and sweet treats. The anticipation of dieting, though, is not as warming as a spring breeze.

Mary Burnette said...

I just feel grateful for a warmer, sunnier and unsnowier December than I ever remember. Two more months of winter and then you might see a crocus pop through the ground!